Forum

Author Topic: Picture Style Setting  (Read 4222 times)

meshmixup

• View Profile
Picture Style Setting
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:33:15 AM »
Hello,

Has anyone tried to adjust the Canon Camera's Picture Style Setting and does it help in getting a better result when using JPEG?

I made some trials in comparing the standard (sharpness 3) and neutral setting (sharpness 0) and I am using 550d with kit lens. The neutral setting gives softer pictures than the standard setting. Interesting, the neutral setting can generate more sparse cloud point than the standard. I repeat the test on body scan and it gives the same result. My implication is: the picture style applied the effect on JPEG after the image compression and therefore some details are lost even in standard mode. Am I correct? :D

David Cockey

• View Profile
Re: Picture Style Setting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Sharpening an image can cause loss of detail. Sharpening adjusts the local contrast to make the images appear "sharper". It does not increase the amount of detail in an image.

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
Hi David, one thing I was not sure is the meaning of sharpness built in in the camera, I thought it was done before the compression to jpeg. It seems it has to se minimal to get most details though the image is soft. :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:02:03 PM by meshmixup »

David Cockey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:36:41 PM »
My guess is the sharpness adjustment in the camera is applied after before the image is compressed and converted to JPEG. Otherwise the individual pixel values would have to be extracted from the compressed JPEG data, sharpness applied, and then the image recompressed into JPEG format. It would be much more efficient and quicker to apply sharpening before compression.

Have you considered capturing the images in RAW (.cr2) as well as JPEG (.jpg) format? You could then process the images in the DPP software which came with the camera. DPP includes the ability to change or modify the "Picture Style".