Forum

Author Topic: PhotoScan 1.3.0 Build 3772 (64bit) low ram memory consumption  (Read 2607 times)

ArnsTronic

• View Profile
Hi
My hardware config is i7 7700K + Gigabyte Z270x-Ultra Gaming + 64GB + NVidia QUADRO M2000 4GB + 480GB SSD + Watercooler H60 Corsair. PhotoScan 1.3.0 Build 3772 (64bit).
Project with an average of 1000 cameras sony 24mp.
But I'm having a low ram memory consumption in all my projects, photoscan uses only 12GB of RAM, and when I get PhotoScan functions in highest quality, the program uses only 52GB of RAM memory.
How can I make PhotoScan use the full potential of my machine?

stihl

• View Profile
Re: PhotoScan 1.3.0 Build 3772 (64bit) low ram memory consumption
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Hi,

I don't think there's anything wrong. Photoscan uses the RAM of your computer to load the necessary data quickly for processing.
A project of a thousand images (24mpx) may not need more memory consumption than the values you've mentioned. There's a benefit to having some overhead of RAM for the computer while processing.

I assume your CPU is nearly always at full load during processing?

ArnsTronic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
Dear Stihl
Thank you for replying!
It is always in 100%!
I opened this post because I worked on an old version of Photoscan with a Mac i7 2.6ghz+ 16gb ram + intel 4000hd, and in many of my projects the pc used all the 16gb ram,so I found strange the new pc with the latest version of Photoscan, do not use 16gb in the same configuration as the old PC!
Maybe the latest version of Photoscan has changed the way of sharing the tasks between the hardware, so I do not understand why I should have 64GB as 24GB would be enough!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 05:09:06 AM by ArnsTronic »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 03:21:10 PM »
Hello ArnsTronic,

The memory consumption depends on the multiple factors, that include the size of the dataset (number of images and resolution), processing parameters used, scene complexity and image overlap.

The excessive amount of RAM that is not required for the current operation wouldn't speed up the process.

If you have any comparative results related to the same data processing on different configurations, please provide the additional information.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC