Forum

Author Topic: focal length  (Read 5746 times)

Brit

• View Profile
focal length
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:43:57 AM »
Hello, I read in the instruction that "Fixed lenses are preferred. If zoom lenses are used - focal length should be set either to maximal or minimal value". "The best choice is 50 mm focal length...Avoid ultra-wide angle".

I am using a Sony DSC-RX100 with a focal length 30 - 108mm. Is 30mm OK (not too wide), or should I set it a bit closer and leave it at that setting for each scan?

David Cockey

• View Profile
Re: focal length
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:45 AM »
30mm equivalent focal length should be fine. I've used a range of lens from 16mm to 96mm equivalent focal length.

Brit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
Thanks.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
I unfortunately have to use all kinds of focal lengths from 20mm to 45mm since I am in a very confined and oval space and it works fine anyway.
It would be nice to have enough space to have them all at 50mm but Photoscan does a great job of compensating.
Leo

pecck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:45 PM »
I unfortunately have to use all kinds of focal lengths from 20mm to 45mm since I am in a very confined and oval space and it works fine anyway.
It would be nice to have enough space to have them all at 50mm but Photoscan does a great job of compensating.
Leo

Hi Leo, I've been reading many of your posts as you seem like a very good source of information.  In your quoted post above you mentioned that you would like to have all focal lengths at 50mm but are limited due to space.  What in your opinion would you say the correct amount of space would be?  Do you think a 3.05m (10ft) diameter would be sufficient?

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »
Hello Pecck, the space where I am working right now is kind of an oval of 9 ft by 12 ft and I see that the section of 9 ft is too close for many shots.
10 ft would be a little too close I would say since that limits the amount of movement of the subject and the area that can be shot successfully ( the person can not extend the arms completely, shooting 2 people together tends to have some issues sometimes, etc.)
If you dont have another place then you can make it work with 10 ft but if you can choose, I would recommend at least a 12 ft circle.
And thanks for the compliment, I have been playing and testing for quite a while with this and have some information to share, but for sure there are plenty other people MUCH more experienced than me in the forum, for example David Cockey that was the first one that answered your post.
Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions.
Leo

meshmixup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Hello, the studio I am working has a size of 12ft diameter. Normally standing pose is absolutely fine for one or two models at 35-55mm.  But for motion, a larger area is always an advantage. :)