Forum

Author Topic: Disney researchers found a way to 3D print figurines with the most realistic hai  (Read 59284 times)

Magnus

• View Profile
Hello!

Thank you so much for posting this! For me this is an extremely exciting thing since hair was the reason I postponed scanning for regular consumers.

Best, Magnus.

Lambo

• View Profile
I know it is a pain to scan print the hair, but I dont think it is that hard, it just means you have to do a little more work on the sculpting side. For sure this new tech will make it easier for us but I don't see it as a reason to stop scanning?
Magnus, where you scanning for making the small figurines or for more professional work on TV or movies? I see that for TV and high end stuff you would need better quality scanning.
Leo

Magnus

• View Profile
Hello Leo!

The reason was that we had intended not to print in Color Sandstone but print the heads without color in the highest quality we could (we were looking at the Envisiontec printers among others). So we would have needed the hair to look very good and look like it was sculptured. This turned out to be very expensive to get done (several 100s of dollars per hairdo), or if we would do it too timeconsuming, so we abandoned the idea.

Best, Magnus.

Lambo

• View Profile
Hi Magnus, I see, yes for something of that level of quality it could be very difficult and time consuming :(
Well maybe with this new tech you will be able to get back into doing it :)
Leo

Magnus

• View Profile
Hello Leo!

Yes I will follow this with great interest, hehe.

Here is an example btw of what we had in mind https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdp0n7lbywmwadv/140820_Print_Example_01.jpg
This was just a testsample and is not the best quality though (Frosted Ultra Detail from Shapeways).

Best, Magnus.

Lambo

• View Profile
Nice!, I wish we could do that much detail with full colors :)  Even though we are not too far, I am sure that soon we will have machines that can print that quality with full color spectrum.
Leo

meshmixup

• View Profile
Cool Magnus!! I remember your face  :D

Hi Both, Shapeways has just released full color plastic (I guess it is 4500) for pilot run. It seems it can print higher details than sandstone. Let me try to print a sample and report the result.  :)

Lambo

• View Profile
Hi meshmixup, isn't it that the 4500 prints lots of colors but it doenst have gradients? That what I heard.
But yes please do a sample and let us know :)
Leo

FoodMan

• View Profile
It can have gradients, but there is no real black... so it is NOT a full color :)

f/

meshmixup

• View Profile
This 3D artist has tried to print his work on 4500. I don't think this can be easily made on sandstone   :o

http://ericvanstraaten.com/amazing-3d-printed-full-color-plastic/

Lambo

• View Profile
AHHH!!!! I want that machine!! Now I see that it really can do gradients. I dont know why some other people were saying that it could not. And it can do thinner pieces without breaking.
Interesting, thanks!

FoodMan

• View Profile
the color may look different (as Eric Van Straten is saying)

and this is from 3D Systems site

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20131202-3d-systems-announces-continuous-tone-full-color-projet-4500-3d-printer.html

Specifications and features:

Resolution: 600 x 600 DPI
    Color: Continuous CMY

So as I said, no real black is possible, but only approaching it..

Price is around USD$69,000

f/

meshmixup

• View Profile
I agree and guess that 4500 is pathing the way to next generation 6500 with CMYK ;)

ttoke

• View Profile
I ordered two samples from 3D Systems, one of them was 4500 and other was the 660 sandstone. You can't compare the quality between the two... The colour is noticeably better on the 660.