Forum

Author Topic: Disney researchers found a way to 3D print figurines with the most realistic hai  (Read 59283 times)

meshmixup

• View Profile
Hi ttoke,

Can you share some photos of these two samples? Thanks  ;D

Jim

FoodMan

• View Profile
Now it makes me wonder why they made that new machine with only CMY.... and no B... there must be a reason though..  :)

f/

Lambo

• View Profile
Of course the reason is "business" and "money". Why sell the best right away when you can first sell something half as good while there is no competition, and wait to sell the better one later.
Unfortunately that applies to everything in life. Cars are that way also and so are tons of other things we constantly buy. :(
Foodman, I know you knew that and were being sarcastic but I needed to vent a little because I never liked that philosophy :(
Leo

ttoke

• View Profile
Actually the 4500 model looks better on the pictures, the difference is even bigger in real life.

EDIT: Wow, the pictures are sooo big!

meshmixup

• View Profile
Hi ttoke,

Many thanks. Just to make sure which one is 660? 4500? ::) the darker one is 660 I guess

What is the size of this model? Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:23:07 AM by meshmixup »

ttoke

• View Profile
Hi ttoke,

Many thanks. Just to make sure which one is 660? 4500? ::) the darker one is 660 I guess

What is the size of this model? Thanks.

Darker and sharper.  ;)

15cm

Lambo

• View Profile
WOW!, the colors on the 4500 are pretty bad. They look discolored or like the colors are running.
Could that be also the fact that since it is a new machine, they do not know how to calibrate it correctly or something similar?
I can get better colors than that with our Z450!
Leo

Magnus

• View Profile
Hello!

Thanks a lot for those examples!

Best, Magnus.

FoodMan

• View Profile
WOW!, the colors on the 4500 are pretty bad. They look discolored or like the colors are running.
Could that be also the fact that since it is a new machine, they do not know how to calibrate it correctly or something similar?
I can get better colors than that with our Z450!
Leo

well as I said twice already, this is the result of a CMY ONLY print... so off course it looks like shit when printing a photo.. it is intended more for an industrial use atm.. although yes I am sure they still have quiet a few 660 to sell.. so they purposely omitted the black color.. when they will run out of 660 machines, they will "re-add" the black to the 4500.. and then it will look nice... voila.

f/

Lambo

• View Profile
well as I said twice already, this is the result of a CMY ONLY print... f/

I am sorry Foodman but I wlll have to disagree on that statement. Yes the full CMYK looks better, there is no discussion there but the CMY system can be made to look pretty decent too.
Look at this sample from our Z450 that as most already know is only CMY.

I know that those pictures from the 4500 were plain pictures and the lighting is not as good but you can still see that the colors are very crappy and uneven. That's why I wondered if they had to calibrate something that they didn't do right?
Leo

FoodMan

• View Profile
hey Leo

thanks for the photo... well yes indeed that model looks pretty good.. but that's sandstone ... the 4500 is another tech... so what comes nice from Sandstone is maybe harder to get on a 4500 with only CMY..
BUT it can also be the case that the 4500 needed to be calibrated better, so you're maybe right too.. who knows..

(nice model btw Leo  8) )

f/

Magnus

• View Profile
Hello again guys!

Just thought I'd show this example which should give another hint as to what I was working on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxvxeyrr8kontxw/140823_Print_Example_01.jpg

Those heads beside mine are 1/6th scale heads (not made by me ofcourse, the man is from a DiD figure and the girl is by Kumik), there is a big community around sixthscale collectible figures (just do a image search on Google for "sixth scale").

I was going to have the heads 3D printed and handpainted just like those are. That would have used the amazing quality that can be gotten from photogrammetry and given it a nice artistic touch from the manual painting.

I still intend to pursue that idea later since I do think it has merit especially if hair can be solved, hehe.

Best, Magnus.

FoodMan

• View Profile
wow.. thanks for the link Magnus ! These are indeed totally awesome..

I searched for 1/6 scale head models as you said.. and stumble on that one...

Lambo

• View Profile
Wow! Those things are crazy nice! One day we will be able to print heads like those already with colors and textures that amazing :)

Leo

meshmixup

• View Profile
Good inspiration   8), But I don't think the current resolution of printer can meet this level of details. Also the sandstone texture requires loads of work to refine the surface.  :D