Forum

Author Topic: Overlapping photos... good, bad, indifferent?  (Read 2629 times)

DCK

• View Profile
Overlapping photos... good, bad, indifferent?
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »
Hi,

I've been trying to create models of some bones that are difficult to model in PhotoScan, because the surfaces are so smooth and reflective. I've finally managed to set up a lighting and image capture procedure where I can get photographs to align: rotate the object on a turntable, 6-8 different chunks/rotations, take a relatively high number of photographs (e.g., 30) per rotation, align chunks separately, then merge chunks sequentially.

However, as you can see from this screenshot, I get a large number of photographs that overlap one another at the two ends of the rotation. I was once told overlapping photographs were a bad thing in PS. But it doesn't seem to be causing me a problem with alignment (whether the shape is accurate remains to be seen).

So my question is: are overlapping photos a matter of concern or not?

Thanks.

DCK
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:24:03 AM by DCK »

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Overlapping photos... good, bad, indifferent?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
I don't see why it should be a problem, especially if they're located in different chunks at the beginning. It should be more useful for aligning the chunks (?)

For a long object like a bone I'd probably rotate along the axis of the bone and move the camera along the bone between rotations rather than circling the bone at different angles.  (your cameras would look like a tube rather than a sphere) You'd get a more consistent distance between the lens and the bone.