Forum

Author Topic: How to measure elevation on specific terrain points  (Read 4772 times)

MiguelVarela

• View Profile
How to measure elevation on specific terrain points
« on: September 15, 2014, 03:46:57 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to use Photoscan pro to create a DEM of a beach and then measure the elevation at different points in the terrain. The idea is to get turtle nest's coordinates and populate the DEM from photoscan with those coordinates and them measure the elevation of each nest.

Is this possible at all, I mean is photoscan DEM elevation accurate (less than 15cm error)?
Do I have to import the Photoscan beach DEM to ArcGIG and do it there?
And if so, is there any specific tool in GIS for this?

Sorry for so many questions at once. All help or online tutorials/manuals on this particular issue would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!

JMR

• View Profile
Re: How to measure elevation on specific terrain points
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
The question is not whether Photoscan DEM is accurate enough or not, but if your photos, the project design and the ground control can deliver the resolution that you require in the model.
Lets say it does. The easyest way to extract spot elevations (coordinates) from the model inside Photoscan is to pin markers wherever you want in the model, and then export estimated values for such markers.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:11:06 AM by JMR »

MiguelVarela

• View Profile
Re: How to measure elevation on specific terrain points
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
Hi JMR,

Thanks for your answer.
I'm a newbie on this so sorry for a few more questions:

I understand the quality of the photos as being the correct overlapping angles, number of photos and their resolution/focus, etc.
But what do you mean by project design and ground control?

About the method to use pin markers and then export estimated values, is there any more detailed info somewhere on the internet?
It's probably obvious to you guys who work with this for a while but for me its like reading German...

I think I might get away with the pin markers but where do I go to export estimated values?

Again, thanks a lot for this much appreciated help