Forum

Author Topic: Photogrammetry and restoration project  (Read 7088 times)

calidos

• View Profile
Photogrammetry and restoration project
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:47:08 AM »
Hello friends,

I am writing to you to bring to your attention a recent photogrammetry project that we have completed here at Calidos using Agisoft PhotoSacan.
The project involved capturing into 3D objects more than a hundred fragments from a shattered baroque sculpture. More than five thousand digital shots were taken and converted into virtual objects to document the sculpture restoration process.

Here is a short video showing the results:
https://vimeo.com/103590562

The 'making of' video demonstrating the process:
https://vimeo.com/103614607

Thanks for your time, any comments or questions are more than welcome!

Yours sincerelly,
Josep Giribet
calidos.cat

Patribus

• View Profile
Re: Photogrammetry and restoration project
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
nice work. which soft did you use for the animation itself?

Cheers

calidos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »
1. export .OBJ from PhotoScan
2. import, ensable and animation with Cinema 4D

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »
Very interesting project.  Did they use the 3D models to help with the physical reconstruction (e.g. working out which bits fitted together) or was it primarily for documentation?

calidos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:56:39 PM »
Reconstruction was made by hand, like a big puzzle. Photogrammetry technique has been just for documentation. First to have an 3D image of each fragment and second to save information where each piece is placed.
The most dificult for me in this project has been maintain precise proportions.

Patribus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »
Hello.

I'm actually working on a project where I need to fit different 3D parts. Which program allows such a task. The idea would be, the the individual 3D objects (pieces) cannot overlap.

Any ideas?

PS: is this possible with Cinema 4D?

JMR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:42:07 AM »
Hello.

I'm actually working on a project where I need to fit different 3D parts. Which program allows such a task. The idea would be, the the individual 3D objects (pieces) cannot overlap.

Any ideas?

PS: is this possible with Cinema 4D?
This can be done by means of programs developed for laser scanner data management (Polyworks, Rapidform, Geomagic, 3dReshaper... even with Meshlab it could be possible). But usually they're not designed to fit pieces but scans. So you'll have to manage how to force the program to think that the two pieces you want to fit are two scans of a single one. It's not straightforward but absolutely possible.
If the pieces to be fitted together keep sufficient contact surface, the contact surfaces have not suffered significant wear, and your model is accurate enough, the best-fit alignment will deliver by far better results than manual approach.
(PS: I can guide you through that process by means of Polyworks but outside of this Agisoft's forum)

Patribus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
... the best-fit alignment will deliver by far better results than manual approach.
(PS: I can guide you through that process by means of Polyworks but outside of this Agisoft's forum)

Well, I do not have any problem to do this manually. And yes, I would be very pleased to follow your 'guide' :-) Do you have a blog? Or do you want to do this by PMs?

Cheers

sjupin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:45:51 AM »
i did testing in fitting 3D models from shattered statue scanned with photoscan. I use cloudcompare
to test the fitting. NB : you can see if it fit but you cannot fit automatically : its just a verification.
cloudcompare is a very good free software to mesure thinks on Models.

Lowa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
Spectacular job, but I have a question.
How to done to scale the various pieces of the statue without using markers??

calidos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
The first strategy was mantain same distance for all pieces along photographic process. Some test in a couple of fragments did a good results. But in real process this has been a nightmare, because some pieces are more than 70cm long and many others not long than 3cm. If I try to maintain same distance as large ones, small ones lost all possibilities to do a reasonably good job.

So, because project goas was to make a documentation of the process of restoration, basic shape of each fragment and where thouse fragments are placed, but not precise meurements, I did a simple method and take two or three mesures of each piece and adjust each 3D model in final ensamblement.

Obviously it is not a system but precise enough for the proposed objectives.

barkerjs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
This is incredible and exactly why I've started 3d scanning.