Forum

Author Topic: mesh subtraction/intersect  (Read 2537 times)

hairyfreak

• View Profile
mesh subtraction/intersect
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:35:08 AM »
Hi, I wonder if anyone has any handy tips for the following.

Similar to some posts I've seen here where people are looking at erosion and want to calculate the volume of the difference between two meshes, I'd like to be able to model the difference between two meshes.

Ideally I would like to take 2 chunks, and combine, automatically removing any areas that are match - leaving a closed objects of the space between the meshes.

The closest to success I've reached so far has been using boolean operator in blender on extruded meshes, but this leaves me with a lot of cleaning to do, and seems to fail unless the the 2 meshes are substantially different from each other.

Does anyone have a workflow or program suggestions that can do this?
Or perhaps a future option of photoscan merge-chunks?

Cheers.

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: mesh subtraction/intersect
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:01:41 AM »
You might be able do this with Leveller  http://www.daylongraphics.com/

Boolean functions can be performed on 2 heightfields, then you could export the result as a mesh. Ray Gardener, the developer, could probably answer your question directly if you send an email to support@daylongraphics.com

Because the difference would be performed on a heightfield, rather than a mesh, there may be some reason why this would not work for your application, but Ray could probably clear that up.