Forum

Author Topic: Merge chunks workflow: interior - build mesh very expensive.  (Read 3837 times)

mrrafs

• View Profile
Merge chunks workflow: interior - build mesh very expensive.
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
I'm learning how to use PS. How does this sound for my workflow so far?

Its a test of concept for a vfx set extension interior of a Edwardian market in london.

1) imported 650 photos of an interior, added lens
2) aligned
3) added 40 markers - markers on non-key photos are all in the matching position - so assume all is good.
4) 'align selected cameras' - for all cameras.
5) build dense cloud
6) tried to optimize but it failed so skipped this
7) tried to build mesh - after 4 days i was getting render times of two weeks at medium so i stopped it. (2.9 i5 proc / 24gb ram)
7) duplicated the main chunk (250,000 points), keeping all markers, and broke it up into overlapping 7 chunks of between 50,000 & 70,000 points. (took 6hours)

I am then going to:
8 ) align chunks (marker) & merge chunks (no scale fix)
9) texture.

When running the build mesh i assume whether a camera is there or enabled makes no difference as its just building a mesh from the point cloud?

ta .rafal
www.movingimagearts.com
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:00:51 AM by mrrafs »

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Merge chunks workflow: interior - build mesh very expensive.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »
Yes it's just meshing the point cloud.  How many polygons will be in the final mesh.  I've got 32Gb of RAM and find I can "only" produce about 10-12M faces from a 300M point cloud

mrrafs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
-thanks bigBen.

- Another questions please peeps:

- If when doing the texture stage, can i swap out the files of 16bit tifs (made from single RAW) to HDR 32bit tifs with exactly the same name?

- Can i export the mesh to a program like Geomagic to do cleanup / selected noise reduction and then import the mesh back before texturing?

will that work?

thanks
Rafal

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:59:32 PM by mrrafs »

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »
- If when doing the texture stage, can i swap out the files of 16bit tifs (made from single RAW) to HDR 32bit tifs with exactly the same name?
Should work (?)

- Can i export the mesh to a program like Geomagic to do cleanup / selected noise reduction and then import the mesh back before texturing?
Yes as long as you don't translate or scale the mesh

mrrafs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
ok thanks will try.... after i work out how to render a big enough texture without my modest box dying.