Forum

Author Topic: Just cancelled Project Saving and it was gone  (Read 5296 times)

Patribus

• View Profile
Just cancelled Project Saving and it was gone
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
I just was saving a project when I decided to hit CANCEL in order not to SAVE but SAVE AS it.

By doing this, the whole project file was lost, as it sees. Only photo positions and markers remain, all the rest ist gone!!!!!

How can this be?

Cheers

PS: as it seems, he just did not save (or restore, or what so ever) the .ply files.. they are all gone.

Question: When saving a project, doesn't PS create first a provisory file and just at the end rewrite the original one? Does PS immediatly delete the original one and start to write a new one? What is the sense of the Cancel botton than, where does PS get the data of the original project?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Just cancelled Project Saving and it was gone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
Hello Patribus,

PhotoScan starts to save the project to the given file immediately. So cancel button will only cancel the operation and would not roll back all the changes in file.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
Best if hold again SAVE and it wil lsave the file, then can SAVE AS.. can happen, need to be careful...
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Patribus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 05:25:50 PM »
Well, but then please inform the the user with an additional warning, that all non-saved work will be lost. 

The way it works now is not really correct, to be honest.

can happen, need to be careful...

can but it should not!!!!

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
Well, but then please inform the the user with an additional warning, that all non-saved work will be lost. 
What do you mean? Currently opened project should not be affected when you save project or overwrite external file.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Patribus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
What I mean is related to the situation I experienced today, namely:

1. I had a project  open. Wanted to save.

2. Used SAVE. PS started to save it. 3GB project, so it was taking longer.

3. I decided that I did not want to save it like it was, but with less chunks using SAVE AS. So I did CANCEL on the running save process. Saving process was canceled.

4. Deleted several chunks, and then did SAVE AS to a new file.

5. Later on, when I decided to go back to the original file, I had to assert that is was empty (just the XML, no ply's anymore). 

So, my point is, that if you cancel saving, there should be no change to the file on the drive. I know this from other software.  How many times does it happen, that one decides to cancel save by some reason. I can imagine half a dozen of situations where the way PS does de save cancel could end with the lost of the whole project. One of them being the my situation today.

I do not know how this works with other software, but I suppose, that the save process takes place by creating new provisory file (in some cases one can see this tanking place in the data folder). Only when the file is completely generated, it is renamed after the original one which gets deleted moments before. By cancelling a Saving in such situation does not result in a corrupted project file.

PLEASE think seriously about changing the saving procedure in PS.

It may be that not many users had the same problems as I (some apperently, as the comment from Wishgranter suggest), but in order to avoid unhappy PS users, it should be changed.

Cheers

Alexey Pasumansky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »
Hello Patribus,

Ok, now I've got your point.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC