Forum

Author Topic: scan in a line of about 8 columns?  (Read 3881 times)

Brit

• View Profile
scan in a line of about 8 columns?
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
How would I scan in a line of about 8 columns. Would I scan in them as a group from the same angle and then at an array?

And would I  then photo each individual column -  with photos taken all around it (masking the single column out, assuming people are wandering in the background)?... And then add detailed images: photo the top ? of a single column taken all around it, and the bottom ? of the column all around – since columns take up a small portion of the frame. I’d assume that all photos need the same focal length? …and then I’d throw all of these images into one Phohoscan project and process?

I am attaching a few images, including a single bullet hole ridden (ww2) column taken by masking out the others (with no close-up detail shots), and a rendering in 3D Studio of the final column (using my own bitmap, not the orginal...in order to see what it looks like in a 3D print). Would I have improved it by taking details of the top 1/2 and bottom 1/2?  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:00:57 AM by Brit »

Brit

• View Profile
Re: scan in a line of about 8 columns?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »
schematics of 2 ways to photo the line of columns. Which is best, or do I do both?

Brit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
I put the same image on twice. sorry. Here's the other.

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
It partly depends on the resolution you're after.  To get a better idea of the shape of the 3D print, render it without a texture.  The top of the column looks a bit noisy to me. I'd use a painter's pole to get up higher and shoot the columns at 3 heights for that size.

Brit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »
Although I like the degraded look artistically, I would like a better resolution. How about zooming in? I don't think I could get to it with a pole at the location ...and how would I shoot it? Or could I keep the 35mm setting and just get closer. I guess my main question is that it's OK to get just part of the object close up in some shots and throw it in the mix?

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
They won't let you take a pole in?  Looks like enough space. Trigger via cable/wifi/cam ranger

Zooming in would be an improvement but you'd get a more consistent result keeping in a similar orientation for all shots.