Forum

Author Topic: How to overcome flash sync limit of 1/200th  (Read 9202 times)

tristan_bethe

• View Profile
How to overcome flash sync limit of 1/200th
« on: September 30, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to capture jumping people using nikon d3200 cams. Like all cams the shutterspeed limit is around 1/200th How can you overcome this? Anyone solved this already using these cams?

Thnx

Lambo

• View Profile
Re: How to overcome flash sync limit of 1/200th
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
The easiest way is to sync them with Studio flashes and not the ones in the cameras. You set the cameras to a shutter speed of around 1/5 sec to 1/10 sec. Then set 1 of the cameras (the one that sends the signal for the studio flashes) to fire the flash on second curtain. That way by the time the flash gets fired, all the camera shutters are already "open". I use all Nikon D5100 and it works pretty nice.
If you are trying to get jumping people, try to have as little ambient light as possible, specially for long hair subjects since if not they will have some ghosting.
Leo

tristan_bethe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Hi Lambo,

I actually had my setup set the way you suggested (rear flash it is called in the cam right?)  and still I saw it happen. I must be doing something wrong then..

But this is suppose to be the way to fix it?

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
We have our cameras going at 1/160th, and we still see motion blur on jumping subjects. We had also previously done the technique suggested by Lambo, and got the same result.  Best fix so far has been to watch the subject while they jump, and fire the cameras at the peak of their jump, which minimizes motion blur to where you can get a good solve from the pictures.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »
Hello!

Sounds like it has to do with flash duration of your strobes. Which brand of flashes are you using?

This link has some examples of flash durations of speedlites and studio heads: http://www.gock.net/2012/01/flash-durations-small-strobes/.
As you can see on some lights the duration is pretty long (dependant on power setting) so that means that you cannot freeze fast action with them.
The problem with using faster shutter speed is that you get limited by the shutter curtains.

Best, Magnus.

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:40 AM »
If you are doing everything the same as the way I explained, then what Magnus is saying might be the reason. I am, using Alienbees B800 flashes so the flash duration (t.1) is between 1/1100 and 1/900 of a second I guess since I have some at full power and some at half power.
And by the way, the setting is called Rear Curtain in the Nikon D5100 and on the D3200 so you might be seeing something different?
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d3200/nikon-d3200FLASH.HTM

Leo

tristan_bethe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
Thanks for the info all. By the looks of it the D3200 will probably not go any faster then 1/200th which leaves me with tommyboys option of smart timing.

ruffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
Your shutter speed becomes the duration of the flash.
I use Bowens Quadx (3000 joules across 4 heads) which can give you 1/7000 sec @ t0.5
This equates to 1/2200 sec at t=0.90
This is a duration that is guaranteed to freeze and self propelled human motion and is what most dance photographers use.
It can be Broncolor, Pro-foto, Bowen's whatever, as long as it is high speed, short duration.
It can be expensive though.
I have no trouble synching 60xD56200's at 1/200th sec.
f/stop is typically between f/16 and f22 @ 100asa and scrimmed heavily.

tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Thanks Magnus, Lambo, ruffy. I love these forums!

Since we are usually capturing people being still, do you think the faster strobe is necessary? At one point a 3DMD representative told me that the threshold for perceptible human movement is 4ms (1/250), even when the subject is trying to be still.  Without being able to measure our current strobes (and no published specs, they are cheap), it's hard to know if we'll get a difference from an expensive upgrade like this.  Hopefully the local shop will let us demo/rent first...really great to know though, thanks again.

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »
You need faster strobes. But to achieve faster flash speed you have to decrease their output. 1/13,000th will do it. Your camera exposure time can be anything up to 1/200th.