Forum

Author Topic: Pany GM1 ... banned for aerial! seriously  (Read 14986 times)

nadar

• View Profile
Re: Pany GM1 ... banned for aerial! seriously
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 10:07:33 PM »
using your E-PL5, how many pictures can you get on a fully charged battery ?

mjankor@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
Using the E-M1 or E-M5, I've had no issues getting over 1000 shots from a single battery. I also just checked the E-M1 and it will work with the battery door open.

With the Olympus cameras, the main issue with batteries is how long the camera is running, rather than the amount of photos taken.

mobilexcopter

• View Profile
    • mobileXcopter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
Yes, I have checked recent job and have made little less than 800 shots without any battery issues. Never tested max shots as with multirotor I am limited with it's autonomy  :)

As JMR wrote, when you use video out cable, the LCD of the camera turns off and as it is the main power consumer ( flash is excluded ), you get quite decent working time.

nadar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
I have 2 types of projects: one type is based on using UAV, and for this one, I agree, the battery life of the camera is clearly not the bottleneck (I have about 10 minutes of safe flight. acquiring photos @ 1 sec interval corresponds to about 600 picture).

The second type of mission is done with manned fixed wing aircraft or helicopter. On these mission, I fly a few hours (up to 7 hours). I'm not acquiring photos during the whole flight, but the camera is mounted outside of the aircraft, and I don't have direct access to it, so it has to be in standby mode at the begin of the mission, and allow for remotely controlled capture when we arrive on the area of interest.
A mission can involve a few thousand pictures (on the Lumix GM1, I can store 7100 JPG images on the 64 Gb SD card)
That's the reson why a definetely need an external power supply.

Another question to experts:
Do you know a camera allowing for fast acquisition (say 1-2 second interval) of long sequences (say 100 images) in RAW mode rather than JPG ? On my EOS 600D, I can acquire about 10 images in fast sequence, then the buffer is full and the acquisition becomes sluggish.

mjankor@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »
1-2 seconds isn't very fast. I'd have thought that would be inside most cameras time lapse settings.

Just had a look on my E-M1, and it will do 999 shots at 1 second interval.

If I turn on burst mode and shoot at 3 frames per second, then I get around 220 (raw) frames before the buffer fills up. (Keep in mind the E-M1 has an insane buffer compared to most other cameras).

If I shoot at 10FPS then I get the usual buffer count of 44 odd raw images.

On my older E-M5 I get 30 odd raw frames at 3fps.

Both of these (and I suspect most similar cameras) appear to be unlimited at 1FPS.

ahaa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
ricoh gr or sigma dp or olympus pen E-PL5 or 7 what is the best for UAV
The weight is very important and the distance with the obect is never more than 200 meter
thanks fot your responds

nadar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
Does anybody knows if the new Panasonic DMC-GM5 has the same speed for the mechanical shutter than GM1 (i.e. max 1/500 sec) ?