Forum

Author Topic: Structure from forward motion ?  (Read 3745 times)

nadar

• View Profile
Structure from forward motion ?
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
is it possble to reconstruct a 3D model from images acquired with the line of sight parallel to the movement direction ?
I'm trying to build a model of a street using a single camera placed on a vehicle and aiming forward and more or less horizontally.
I'm interested by the road flooring, but also by buildings located on the sides.

Is this geometry compatible with the basic requirements of photogrammetry (e.e epipolarity), or does SFM algorithm circumvene this ?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Structure from forward motion ?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
try the "beta" version, it should work, but its not ideal.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
..add to that, try a full frame fisheye. That will give you overlapping parts of the images that are at more oblique angles.

nadar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
a big problem with fisheye lenses is the higly variable resolution you get, from very small pixels in the center to "infinite" size in the borders. Not ideal for reconstruction I guess
(tried once with a 170° gopro installed on a plane for vertical photography, but not tried for terrestrial forward motion)

nawaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
is it possble to reconstruct a 3D model from images acquired with the line of sight parallel to the movement direction ?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:35:00 AM by nawaz »
We are the pioneers in 642-242 and Northeastern University tutorials with 100% exam JUNIPER