Forum

Author Topic: Pre-sales query  (Read 7790 times)

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
Pre-sales query
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »
Hi,

I am considering purchasing however I've got a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  I would like to scan actual automobiles with Agisoft and I would like to know if anyone has done this and/or if it is possible?  Specifically, I would like to be able to scan a car that is parked outside, on a street, in a normal outside environment.  Is it possible to scan something like a car in such a non-controlled environment.  If so, I'd like to know what steps I would need to take in order to achieve a good scan using Agisoft.  If this can be done, I'll be making a purchase for sure!

Hope someone can share their experiences with me.

Thanks!

Mr. Curious

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Pre-sales query
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »
Hello there is a problem with cars - shiny material - hard to find points for orientation and align. but if you have few photos, upload it somevere - DROPBOX etc.... and will test it....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Hello Mr. Curious,

Wishgranter is right - there could be some problems with geometry reconstruction of large shiny and untextured areas.
But we could also try to process your sample photos of the parked cars.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
I understand completely.

Would it be at all helpful if I could randomly place some targeting dots (adhesive stickers) on the surface of the car?

Thanks!

Mr. Curious

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »
Hello Mr. Curious,

If the stickers are too small it would not help, because there would still be large areas.

I think there could be a few alternative ways. For example you can project some kind of pattern on the surface or cover the car with something that could be easily washed off (whitening or flour, for example). Maybe placing some kind of textured materials inside the car to the windows would also be helpful.
Or you can take a photos of heavily mudded vehicles.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
Hello Mr. Curious,

If the stickers are too small it would not help, because there would still be large areas.

I think there could be a few alternative ways. For example you can project some kind of pattern on the surface or cover the car with something that could be easily washed off (whitening or flour, for example). Maybe placing some kind of textured materials inside the car to the windows would also be helpful.
Or you can take a photos of heavily mudded vehicles.

Yes, we seem to be thinking along the same lines, I had many similar ideas!  I will make my purchase and then experiment!  Thank you for your kind reply.

Mr. Curious

Joules

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:14:54 PM »
I can tell you, I have been trying to model custom choppers and the chrome is just a nightmare.  If things are matted down it improves vastly.  Saying that I've been very pleased with the software for other small engineering items photographed on a turntable against a matt background.

Joules

Mr_Curious

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
I can tell you, I have been trying to model custom choppers and the chrome is just a nightmare.  If things are matted down it improves vastly.  Saying that I've been very pleased with the software for other small engineering items photographed on a turntable against a matt background.

Joules

Thanks Joules!

I had no doubt that chrome, shiny or transparent objects would create problems.

Using dulling spray does seem to help a lot... I continue to experiment.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences, I appreciate it!

Mr Curious