Forum

Author Topic: Ready made solutions for full body 3D  (Read 18259 times)

ttoke

• View Profile
Ready made solutions for full body 3D
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
Hey,

I visited Euromold in Frankfurt today and I saw two full body scanners, one has 64 for cameras and other was the artec full body scanner. Are there any other full body photogrammetry 3D scanners out there? I know that Twinkind from Berlin also announced that they will be selling a mobile full body 3D scanner soon...

Thanks!

FoodMan

• View Profile
Re: Ready made solutions for full body 3D
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
well did not know twinkind.. but they make really nice little models..  8)

3dmij

• I make raspberry pi 3d Scanners
    • View Profile
    • pi3dscan
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »
Hi,

Check out www.pi3dscan.com 

We offer a self build multi camera system or we can build a system for you. Self build cost is around 10K, build by us is about 16-20K

ttoke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »
Hey,

Do you have any sample models from your scanner?

Hi,

We offer a self build multi camera system or we can build a system for you. Self build cost is around 10K, build by us is about 16-20K

3dmij

• I make raspberry pi 3d Scanners
    • View Profile
    • pi3dscan
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
yep, I have posted the first 2 on my website (www.pi3dscan.com) in the download section. Will be adding a few more this week.

They include 2 image sets (with and without projection) and the raw 3D model created with agisoft.

Hey,

Do you have any sample models from your scanner?

Hi,

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
That's very impressive solution for cost comparison. It's great to see someone innovating in this field.

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
Debevec at it again... hehe

Pres. Obama 3D selfie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GiLAOtjHNo

andy_s

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
That's very impressive solution for cost comparison.

Agree.

It's great to see someone innovating in this field.

Absolutely.

ttoke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
Looking good!

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
Debevec at it again... hehe

Pres. Obama 3D selfie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GiLAOtjHNo

Interesting to see Artec doing the leg work :)

Christian

• 3D-APPARAT
    • View Profile
    • weltwunderbar - 3D-APPARAT
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
We are also offering ready to run / turn key solutions - started one year ago with our 3D-APPARAT based upon 146 raspberry PI cameras, we are now offering hybrid solutions based upon 146 raspberry PI cameras plus DSLR cameras - and since approx. 2 months we are offering a 3D-APPARAT HD. The 3D-APPARAT HD is a modular system that starts with 60 cameras and can be extended by plug and play to an unlimited number of cameras. Offering high speed sync for the cameras ( 1/200 sec) and also flash support.

Prices starts at 25.000€ for a 3D-APPARAT (146 cams with 5MP each). A 3D-APPARAT HD KIT is available from 39.000€ (including 60 Canon 100D cameras) and a ready to run, mobile (!!) solution with 60 DSLR cameras (Canon 100D) is available starting from 58.000€. All systems are extendable, plug & play and self monitoring. We do not use USB communication or active USB HUBs and guarantee a robust and stable solution with automated upload features.

Send me a private message (email@weltwunderbar.de) for further information or visit www.facebook.de/weltwunderbar

Christian

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Hi Christian,

IF you don't use USB communication on the DSLR rig, then what do you use to download the images ?  WiFi cards ?

Cheers,
mala

duststorm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
They probably still use the USB connections of the cameras, but attach them to embedded microcomputers for a networked solution.
At least, that is the solution I have been experimenting with personally. It's still in development but already I get very good results, it's a lot more reliable than a large USB network (not to mention the mediocre software that is usually used for tethering -- at least, mediocre for this specific use case scenario) and allows advanced monitoring and logging failures of the cameras and the images they produce.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:21:43 PM by duststorm »

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »
it's a lot more reliable than a large USB network

Interesting. How do you know that? Do you have access to a large multi camera set-up to compare? If the USB infrastructure has been set-up correctly it can be near 100% reliable. It all comes down to experience.

(not to mention the mediocre software that is usually used for tethering -- at least, mediocre for this specific use case scenario)

I would hardly call the software mediocre. Both Breeze and Smart Shooter are incredibly powerful and extremely reliable.

duststorm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
It's possible my observations are because of a lack of understanding of larger USB networks, or because the USB host hardware I'm using is not that stable. It's based on my own experience and the thoughts I exchanged talking with people who operate a studio with about 140 cameras.

Personally, I see this as an interesting problem to design a cool solution for ;) But it will probably be field tested on a real studio, so I'll probably be able to report real results some time in the near future.

The problem I know is that with too many devices connected to a single USB host, transfers can take a long time (up to a minute). I also think that it's beneficial to replace the computers with windows (and all the potential defects they can have) connected to the cameras, with very cheap microcomputers running an embedded software stack.
I only have experience with Smart Shooter, and while it performs well in good situations, I find that its scripting and customization support is a bit lacking. For example I can't get detailed control over how many images from where I download, or track from which camera those images are coming -- as images are labeled at the time they are downloaded, not at the time they are captured. Even if you can grab some information from the EXIF data afterwards, it feels like less elegant solution to me. Also, with SmartShooter, when capturing sequences of images, I get the occasional black image, I've heard from others they experienced the same thing. This might also be due to Nikon's buggy PTP implementation (yes, I've got those buggers -- too bad they couldn't do it right, like on the old D80 models), sadly I've no experience with Canons.
You might get good results with it, probably depends on how you use it, the overal transfer speed and how much time you can wait between captures.

The main reason why I try to do this differently, is to make capturing and identifying of images and downloading them asynchronous. Using a LAN network and a bit of adapted software, it's possible to determine what images belong together in one set, and where they reside (what camera, what network node) mere seconds after the cameras were triggered. Once the computer knows where these images are and how to group them together, it doesn't matter that downloading these images takes a little while longer. It can create a queue and download these images in the background, meanwhile the studio can be used again for making new captures. Even if a USB network can perform well, it can be outperformed by a gigabit ethernet network. Additionally there is no limit of 255 devices with ethernet (should that ever be required), it's very easy to scale the setup practically without limits.

Mainly I think this approach can help in simplifying the use and increasing the trust in a larger camera setup. A simple web interface keeps track of the state of the system, showing things such as the number of cameras detected, their current state and configuration, and shows real-time warnings when things go wrong, for example a camera disconnected, some images were missing or are black in the last capture (you could set an allowed threshold here), warn when someone left a lens toggle on "auto focus", among other things. The system generates an extensive set of log events that are captured by a single node, allowing to filter on interesting events, but it also allows to analyze aggregated log events: if for example the same camera failed 8 out of the last 10 captures, this might be an indication that it is defective.

Probably the most interesting aspect of it is that, because of the reduced maintenance required, it becomes easier to operate the studio, or makes it possible to create a mobile version of it, installed at a different location. Logs can be accessed remotely so that in many cases, remote assistance can be delivered.

While I personally only have a small testing setup, I am designing it so that it can easily scale to many hundreds of units without large performance penalties. The goal I have set now is to allow a 150 camera setup to make a capture every 5 seconds, while guaranteeing that all pictures will end up on a NAS store (correctly divided in sets for each capture) without the photographer having to worry about any of it (that is, until you fill up the buffer of your SD cards -- with 16GB I think you have more than enough -- in which case you just have to wait a bit until some captures finish downloading).

Aside from this task I am toying around with my own small DIY studio, with a rotating platform , a self-constructed trigger box, a timed trigger mechanism and 6 cameras. The main goal is bringing some of the merits of 3D scanning to the open source community. I am a developer at the MakeHuman project and hope that we can use scanned content to create virtual assets like clothing, hairstyles and skin details more quickly and with better detail than we were able to get before.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:28:35 PM by duststorm »