Forum

Author Topic: Quality of dense cloud generation  (Read 2268 times)

david.bergbom

• View Profile
Quality of dense cloud generation
« on: December 18, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »
A question about the quality/resolution of points as well as point cloud density.

Background:

I use PS-generated point clouds in Autodesk Inventor to make measurements and compare "as-built" parts/machines to theoretical 3D-models.

Due to a lacking graphics card, however, I have problems handeling very dense point clouds in Inventor (I bring them in to Inventor through Recap).

I've found that the "medium" density point clouds (for my applications) most often is good enough to allow me to do modeling (extract surfaces from the cloud and so forth).

As far as I'm concened the quality of the point cloud is a lot higher (better accuracy of each individual point) in "Ultra High Density"-point clouds than in "Medium Density"-ones (besides the fact that I end up with way more points).

My question:

Is it possible to acquire the "Ultra High" quality of each individual point and at the same time get a decimated point cloud (about the same size as in Medium-Density)?

Regards,
David Bergbom

Artisan S

• View Profile
Re: Quality of dense cloud generation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
Ass far as I'm aware of not within Agisoft, you could use Meshlab....

Check Mr. P. Meshlab tutorial about the Poisson disk samplig algorithm......of course (eh) you cannot reimport into Agisoft again.

Greetings, Ed.