Forum

Author Topic: Combining 3 models into one 3D pdf possible?  (Read 2953 times)

Hugh@BE

• View Profile
Combining 3 models into one 3D pdf possible?
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:11:29 AM »
I have rendered three 3D models with texture that look great when I export them as a 3D pdf; however, I would like to combine all 3 models with their texture into the same pdf or similar type of file.

If it is possible to do this, please reply with the solution and ignore the rest of this thread.

I have tried a couple different methods in blender and meshlab to achieve something like this. The only restrictions I have to abide by is that they need to have their texture/skin/material in the final version.

My best attempt was successfully importing the 3 models in blender as an .obj and loading the jpg/png of the obj file as a material. While this method was successful, it didn't achieve the same result as a 3D pdf; but it passed. The only problem with this method is I cannot export it out of blender into an easily openable file such as a 3D pdf.

I feel like this is an easy problem to solve. Maybe there is some way to combine the 3 models in photoscan and export them from there?

Any input or feedback is helpful.

Thank you

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Combining 3 models into one 3D pdf possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:46:12 AM »
Hi Hugh@BE,

You could export each 3D model as an individual 3D PDF using PhotoScan and then combine the 3 PDFs into one single PDF with 3 pages using Adobe Acrobat (NOT Adobe Acrobat Reader) .

If you want all 3 models on the same page though, it will be a little trickier. You'll need to find a 3D (modelling) software package that allows 3D PDF export.

Regards,
SAV

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:12:50 AM »
Simlab Composer can do this, but need to be careful about file size. PDFs larger than 1 million triangles slow down A LOT. I've gotten up to 2 million but the the slowness is barely tolerable.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:34:32 AM by chrisd »

Kiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »
Free PDFTK Builder can do it too.

Regards

Karsten

Hugh@BE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
@kiesel @chrisd @sav thank you all very much for the response. I will get to work and report back!