Forum

Author Topic: Best camera for Photoscan?  (Read 35126 times)

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Best camera for Photoscan?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 04:35:59 AM »

Hoping for some time to test our H5D and what subjects it will be best suited to.

But in more genral terms I tend to think along the lines of image pixels per degree of fov, desired working distance and the final resolution required. This gives you a better idea of what type of camera/lens combination you need, and once you have that you get the best your budget will stretch to.

Reshot a test project last week with a Canon 5D2 but brought the wrong lens. (50mm instead of 24mm) went ahead anyway and while the dense cloud is freaking awesome, I'll have to scale the images back from 21MP to 12MP so that I can create a mesh. Could have got a similar result with a Canon S120.

You can leave the images scaled up hi, and jsut use a different dense cloud seeting. I believe each lower setting sub samples the photos.
Ultra all pixels sampled
High evernn 2nd pixel sampled
Medium every 4 pixels

ETC (at least that is what Ive read and under stood)

The good thing about keeping high images is at texture time, you can get a much sharper texture projection.

-P

Yes, I remembered that just after doing the conversion ;) ... duh. Medium dense cloud got us ample resolution.

Hervé

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »

I work for a few years  with Photoscan , and i learn:   fuji xtrans sensors that were the best for phtogrammetry

kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 03:59:39 PM »

Since 5 years I've been using Sigma compact cameras with a foveon chip.
You will never find any better MTF for about 500 Euros.
I tested a Phase One iQ180 and a Sigma DP1 Merrill.
Copare the attached meshes...

Of course there are some disadvantages working with the Merrill: To store the RAW data, it takes 15 seconds and the noise is terrible at ISO ratings bigger than 200.

However, I would always take the Merrill for UAV-missions, the Phase One for terrestrial Photogrammetry.

Wow, Is it really that much better?   I mean your second screen is so much more clean and noiseless.  I heard frightening stories about Merrill needing half a minute to save each file.

Wonder how other Sigma cameras do.   DP2 Quattro for example?

kirk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »

I work for a few years  with Photoscan , and i learn:   fuji xtrans sensors that were the best for phtogrammetry

Could you post a comparison or just a few examples please