Forum

Author Topic: Smart masking options  (Read 3975 times)

pjenness

• View Profile
    • IMDB
Smart masking options
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:32:38 AM »

Hiya

Ive found recently when I have flat white sky in manay of my images somtimes it gets calculate in the wrong place and I get white on top of th emodel. Usually when I dont have enough down angles to define the top correctly

This happens a lot with cliffs etc wher my main angles are from low looking up

Im finding the best solution is to mask out the sky.

It would be great if there was a smart solution for this (other than magic wanding manually every photo)

Cheers

-P

Lead Environtment Artist
Weta Digital

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1473416/

bigben

• View Profile
Re: Smart masking options
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:58:09 AM »
A "smart" solution would be pretty tricky to do. I also mask out a lot of sky, including between branches and leaves on trees. I do most of masking Photoshop using actions to semi-automate a few key steps.  The two main methods I have for selecting the sky are:

Select > Colour range, using white as the reference colour and values of 20-40 for the range.  In some cases this can be applied to the entire image, but rarely to an entire set of images as it doesn't discriminate between white objects and white sky.  In those cases I will firstly marquee select the area of sky before running the colour range selection.  If there are darker clouds/blue sky as well then I'll set the action to allow input on the colour selection so that I can add the additional areas of non-white sky.

Magic wand selection. This is usually used as an initial step before running a colour range selection when there are light objects with a clear demarcation from the sky (e.g. and angled roof) so that I don't have to be too careful with the marquee selection near these objects.

Once the area to be masked is defined by a selection I have other actions to add/remove the selected areas from the alpha channel of the image. Link all of these to function keys and my workflow uses the mouse and 4 shortcut keys to do the masking.

The problem is not so much that it can't be done, but it's something that will only work in certain situations and usually requires some form of manual QA/ baby sitting.

Perhaps a colour range selection may be a useful addition to the other Photoscan masking tools?

jtuhtan

• View Profile
Re: Smart masking options
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:50:07 PM »
You can mask out pretty complicated regions, but this requires more advanced image processing tools than what are available from most commercial software. If you have programming experience, I would recommend taking a look first at OpenCV.

The tools required for non-trivial automated masking are image segmentation and image classification.