Forum

Author Topic: models made with photoscan  (Read 2435 times)

Paul

• View Profile
models made with photoscan
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »
Hi All,

I recently finished a project where I used to Photoscan to generate models of neolithic artefacts found at Skara Brae and housed at the National Museum of Scotland. I got some great help from the forum here so I'd thought I'd share the results and my workflow.

My colleague photographed each object on a turntable, approx 36 images per rotation, at 10 degrees and 45 degrees. The object was then inverted and photographed again for a total of about 130 images.
In Photoscan the images were then masked, the inverted images rotated 180. In most cases PS was able to align all the images in one go.
For each object a 2 million tri mesh was created, with a 4k texture map.
I used Meshlab to decimate the mesh to about 250k triangles (with texture) and exported as an obj.
I imported the light weight mesh into Blender and used it as a base to retopologise a lightweight mesh, <20k triangles,
This was UV mapped and the 4K texture map baked to the geometry.
The 2 million mesh was also imported into Blender and used to bake a high quality Normal map.
The resulting model, with tex and Normal maps was exported as an X3D file for web viewing.
You can see the results here: http://www.cmcassociates.co.uk/Skara_Brae/landing/HA244.html
Viewing requires a WebGL enabled browser.
Cheers