Forum

Author Topic: Full Body Scanning With Point and Shoot Camera  (Read 5726 times)

avinashv18

• View Profile
Full Body Scanning With Point and Shoot Camera
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:02:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking to start full body scanning service in my city. But i was wondering what if i use Canon Point and Shoot camera for making Scanning Rig instead of DSLR. If anybody have experimented on it please share your reviews.

Thanks

Tyler J

• View Profile
Re: Full Body Scanning With Point and Shoot Camera
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
Hi,

I did this with point and shoot camera, be sure to take some CHDK enabled canon camera.
Otherwhise each camera will choose it's own settings (ISO, aperture speed) but you need the same
settings for each pictures.

Also you can use CHDK to take picture via USB.

Since mine where not CHDK enabled my scans are not always good and I had to solder wire on the camera board :/

For alimentation you can get some nice DC/DC converter on ebay for 1$ each and use a computer 12V alimentation (those cost 15$ and you have a lot of power)

put the DC/DC converter close to the camera, the power loss in the cable is not negligeable (camera won't power up or will shut down during operation)

borgy168

• View Profile
Re: Full Body Scanning With Point and Shoot Camera
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Hello,

My team and I are currently experimenting with 80 canon Point and Shoot camera with different camera models to scan a full human body for education purposes.

We are not really aiming for ultra high quality 3d model.  Our objective is get good texture,  good mesh without holes.

One time I was able to get a good result (but not perfect) mixing different cameras for scanning half body.

But when I tried to do a full body scan, my output was poor.  Please see attached photos.

all cameras are canon. 
Camera are all set at 100 iso
We are using 4 steady lights with diffuser

I hope someone can give me tips and advice why my 1st model has a good result and what went wrong to the other model.

I have different camera models with different resolution and pixel size.  Some photos have slight difference in color due to different camera models.  Does it have a big impact on my output?

Cheers,

Borgy