Forum

Author Topic: Rectangular vs Circular shooting area...  (Read 5693 times)

Lambo

• View Profile
Rectangular vs Circular shooting area...
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:07:00 AM »
Hello everybody, after a couple of months of crazy work, I finally have time to get in here again.
I am about to move to a new space with the scanning rig and had a question for you.
I know that the most appropriate layout for scanning (placement of the cameras) is a circular one since that way you can maintain the focal length of all the cameras equal, you can zoom in into the subject the same amount (even though I know it is helpful to have some cameras capturing on different focal lengths and zooming more or less into the subject) but for the most part they should be similar to each other right?
At the same time, I also know that Photoscan does a great job of compensating and correctly calculating for different focal lengths since that is what I have now, an oval shape room and cameras arrangement and Photoscan still gives me good results.
The question comes since I am about to move to a slightly bigger place and I am thinking about placing the cameras directly to the wall with special brackets to maximize the space as much as possible. That would place the cameras in more of a rectangular fashion than oval. That means there would be a decent difference in focal lengths between some of the cameras.
I think that would be ok but I wanted to know if someone has done this or knows of a reason that would be counterproductive?
Well thanks a lot for any insights.
Take care...
Leo

Lambo

• View Profile
Re: Rectangular vs Circular shooting area...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:28:33 AM »
No one has a comment? :(

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »
Well I will guess no one has done it like this or that it really doesn't matter much since there are no comments on this?
Leo

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »
Well I will guess no one has done it like this or that it really doesn't matter much since there are no comments on this?
Leo

Try it and see, that's the best way to learn. Experiment. There is no rule book  :)

Lambo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:31:51 AM »
Hi Lee, yes I am close to trying it and hopefully I will get as good results as I got before in the elliptical area I had. I will for sure post the results so that hopefully anyone interested can benefit from the information.
Leo