Forum

Author Topic: taking Photos of a Building: Right Shooting Order  (Read 3558 times)

holgar

• View Profile
taking Photos of a Building: Right Shooting Order
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »
Hello,
I am planning to do scanning of big buildings and Big Areas like Archological Sites.
Now I am wondering how I should plan to take the pictures as it is not as simple as the Examples in the Documentation.
I am not doing UAV. I shoot everything from tripod.
If I have a Complex Building. Is there a prefered order in which I should take the photos?

If I have to do a Complex Wall which is lets say L-Shaped. Would you circle the Wall completly Row by Row? Or better split the Wall into pieces and make single Segments of the Wall one by one?

As an simple example...a big wall. Should I take the Photos in lines from left to right?
Which of the following methods would you do:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:28:46 PM by holgar »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: taking Photos of a Building: Right Shooting Order
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
Hello holgar,

For static objects like walls and building facades I don't see any difference between these two scenarios. PhotoScan uses just the images irrespectively to their order (and shooting date/time info).

More important for the output quality might be sufficient overlap between the lines and quality of images. Also I assume that for better results camera should be pointing normal to the surface. So for flat surfaces like walls the image acquisition scenario will be similar to aerial shooting, just in another plane.

Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

holgar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »
Thanks for your Answer. I thought the Order is important for processing.
Another Question: In case of Archeological Sites is it recommended to use a GPS-logger? I am talking about areas of 100x100 Meter. Or is GPS data in such a field unnesessary?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
Hello holgar,

That depends on the task. Geotags fir the images can be useful in two cases:
1 - near vertical survey, allowing to use Reference pre-selection option to reduce the processing time,
2 - model georeferencing.

But actually you can reference the model using several markers, measured with total station.

I hope that other users with more experience in such tasks will also comment on this topic.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

holgar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
Thanks. I guess Reference pre-selection option is a Feature of the Proffesional Version?
I dont need Geo-referencing. I would only need it to speed up the Process. But I have only the standard Version at the moment.

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
Yes, it's a pro version feature. If you're shooting the walls of a building it can help with alignment but it's not critical as long as you have good overlap between images. Corners of buildings can be the trickiest if you don't have a great working distance.  In those cases including more of the ground around the corner can help to connect images.