Forum

Author Topic: LuxMark 2.0 similiar performance with agisoft in GPU reviews?  (Read 4139 times)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
LuxMark 2.0 similiar performance with agisoft in GPU reviews?
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
Hello, i think a lot of people are having problems with choosing a GPU for a potential running of photoscan (besides other things), so they read GPU reviews on various sites... The problem is that these reviews do not include agisoft photoscan as one of their benchmarks, but i have noticed that a lof of reviews include a benchmark called "LuxMark 2.0" which uses OpenCL (as agisoft does during dense point generation). There are a lof of tests of a lot of GPUs where you can find the LuxMark 2.0 score for each card...

My question is: Is agisoft photoscan really comparable with LuxMark 2.0? Thus if a GPU X has 150% performance over GPU Y in LuxMark 2.0, is it safe to say that GPU X will have aproximatelly also 150% performance over GPU Y in Agisoft photoscan?

(Yeah there are some benchmark results on this forum but they do not include all cards etc.)

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
Re: LuxMark 2.0 similiar performance with agisoft in GPU reviews?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:37:03 AM »
Could someone elaborate on this please? I really need to know this

driftertravel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:09 AM »
Basic back-of-the-napkin estimations seem to indicate that choosing a graphics card based on LuxMark tests for OpenCL isn't a bad idea. Of course, the guy running 8 Titans is on top of the rankings. If you want the best and don't mind paying for it, wait for the GM200 Maxwell Titan or the R9 390X which should be out later this spring, the R9 390X looks like it might have the edge, but hey, I'm an nvidia guy. Used, I came down on the side of the 780ti for price/performance, but if you want more bang something in the titan range isn't a bad idea. If you have great cooling (especially if you want to run more than 1 gpu) AMD offers some good alternatives. Realistically, at the top end of the gaming level you're probably not going to choose a bad card.

JohnyJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
Basic back-of-the-napkin estimations seem to indicate that choosing a graphics card based on LuxMark tests for OpenCL isn't a bad idea. Of course, the guy running 8 Titans is on top of the rankings. If you want the best and don't mind paying for it, wait for the GM200 Maxwell Titan or the R9 390X which should be out later this spring, the R9 390X looks like it might have the edge, but hey, I'm an nvidia guy. Used, I came down on the side of the 780ti for price/performance, but if you want more bang something in the titan range isn't a bad idea. If you have great cooling (especially if you want to run more than 1 gpu) AMD offers some good alternatives. Realistically, at the top end of the gaming level you're probably not going to choose a bad card.

thanks for reply, no im thinkinh, because of budget between gtx 960 or radeon r9 280 or 280X...

Is here someone other that can confirm that performance in Luxmark is similiar to performance in photoscan? im not a programmer so i cannot say... but its all openCL so it should be very similiar,. the performance....?