Forum

Author Topic: Scale/rotate/translate object to match transformations of duplicate object  (Read 3074 times)

kropcke

• View Profile
Hi Everyone.

My first post here. Looking forward to spending some time on these forums  :)
Here's the pipeline I'm working with...

1. model a box in maya
2. print the box using a 3d printer
3. capture the printed box with photoscan, and create an .fbx
4. import the .fbx back into the original scene

The attached image shows what I get in Maya after following the above steps.

You can see that the imported .fbx is offset, scaled, and reoriented. The goal is to integrate the .fbx and have it match the transformations of the original parent *without* having to scale/rotate/translate by hand.

Is there a way to scale/rotate/translate (without deforming, or at least as little as possible) the .fbx so that it matches the transformations of the original box? Perhaps by even rigging the .fbx and snapping the pivot point to one of the corners? I'm not sure how to approach this.

It's a peculiar pipeline, but the objects I'm working with are getting more complex and I'm trying to nail down a working system with simple objects first. Because precision is so important, eyeballing all of this is not very desireable.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer up. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
kropcke
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:38:33 PM by kropcke »

bigben

• View Profile
After exporting your object, import both into Meshlab and align the Photoscan model to your object. Scaling during alignment is turned off by default so remember to turn it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9Hap4rX0k

kropcke

• View Profile
Hi Bigben.

I forgot to reply to your post a couple weeks ago.
Meshlab, and your hint to toggle 'scaling' on, did the trick - it's exactly what I was after.

Thank you so much - I really, really appreciate it!!

-kropcke