Forum

Author Topic: Computer Specifications  (Read 3399 times)

Reesamu

• View Profile
Computer Specifications
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
I was just wondering which computer specifications people are using to process large photo-sets (Amount of RAM, etc.)?

We are looking to process about 1300 pictures with telemetry data and need a computer that can handle that.

aggieair

• View Profile
Re: Computer Specifications
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
I am doing aerial imagery from a UAV, about 500 photos per project or less so far.

I have 32 GB RAM, 3GHz CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760.  The RAM really gets maxed when I'm making ultra high point clouds.  They were looking to double my RAM.

brownish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 02:43:13 AM »
I've got:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 64 GB DDR3, G-Skill
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Drive: 250 GB G-Skill SSD
Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD5

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I haven't had much trouble with photos numbering over 300. I've been working with scanned photos with much larger file sizes and had issues maxing out my memory so what I had to do was increase the amount of virtual memory that windows had access to. That solved Agisoft's memory crashes (I don't know if you are running into those issues).

driftertravel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:19:45 AM »
It very much depends on the quality of the point cloud you need to construct, and that's pretty much related to ram. Processor will simply help you do it faster, fast clock speed and multiple cores are important, in that order. If you want high or very high quality point clouds without doing chunks on 1300 photos you're going to want as much ram as you can afford. Seriously. 512gb would not be unreasonable in your situation.

If you want to send me a sample data set I'll see what kind of quality I can get with 128gb ram on my workstation.

Reesamu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »

It very much depends on the quality of the point cloud you need to construct, and that's pretty much related to ram. Processor will simply help you do it faster, fast clock speed and multiple cores are important, in that order. If you want high or very high quality point clouds without doing chunks on 1300 photos you're going to want as much ram as you can afford. Seriously. 512gb would not be unreasonable in your situation.

If you want to send me a sample data set I'll see what kind of quality I can get with 128gb ram on my workstation.

See, we are not exactly looking for super-high quality of the point cloud. We are primarily looking to associate our telemetry data with the photos we have and georeference all of the photos. It is over an entire field. I can send it to you though.