Forum

Author Topic: Which Camera?  (Read 7541 times)

Time

• View Profile
Which Camera?
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Hello,

i just started with photogrammetry scans. Did some initial tests with a Smartphone cam and 123catch.
However i want to make some more professional scans for a game i am working on.
I have a very tight budget , though am looking for a DSLR.
Any suggestions?
What about a Canon EOS 1100D or a EOS 500D?

Thanks

dtmcnamara

• View Profile
Re: Which Camera?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Whats your budget?

Time

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
500€.

dtmcnamara

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:32:32 PM »
Ill say the same thing I tell people wanting to get into photography in general, a camera is only as good as the glass that is put on it.

With that being said, Nikon and Canon both have great budget fixed lense that work great for photogrammetry. I would look into either of the cameras you posted and also look at getting a 50mm f1.8 lens.

Time

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
ah ok, thanks.
Why a 50mm lens?

driftertravel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:48 AM »
50mm is what photoscan assumes when you input photos with no exif data, so 50mm is kind of the baseline. Realistically the lens you use can (and should) vary depending on what you're going to scan. Lens quality is paramount, fixed lenses generally crush zooms. I use 40mm fixed lens on Canon 100D cameras for medium sized objects, works great and you can get the kit in your price range, comes with a zoom lens too if you want to do different sized stuff, the quality drops off some, but photoscan doesn't have a problem with it, and for game rez textures it's much more than good enough image quality wise. You may see some dropoffs in quality of the sparse point cloud towards the extremes of a telephoto lens, but photoscan is surprisingly versatile. It has much more to do with the way you take the photos than the quality of your hardware in my experience. I compared my $500 kit (100d/40mm) with a $3500 kit of an a7r with a zeiss fixed 50mm lens and the quality of the finished models for game purposes was almost identical. I sold the a7r,  Photoscan had a better time matching points with less images with the 36mp camera with one of the sharpest lenses in the world, but it was totally not worth the price difference imho, unless you have the cash laying around. You can just take a few more pictures with the lower resolution camera to ensure a good alignment. That's my $.02.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:33:19 AM by driftertravel »

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
What type of things are you looking at scanning... small objects or buildings or ...

You can do a lot with a mobile phone camera and Photoscan Standard. e.g. https://skfb.ly/Aszu   and a Samsung NX3000 will give you much more resolution than you need for gaming. 

The biggest mistake that people make with lower resolution cameras is thinking that they have to get the entire object in the shot which limits the resolution you can create.  People will also tell you that you should shoot RAW.  I use Pure as my iPhone camera if I want high quality TIFFs.

Time

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:38 PM »
thanks for the Kind Responses.
well, i Need to scan many different sized objects. from small objects (20cm) to big walls of rock. up to 10m high.
But that would be the worst case.
I also want to try capturing a very large mountain for Level Background.

I guess i have to learn a bit about lenses. Have no clue which one is for what.
And Agisoft Photoscan is much better than 123d catch i assume.

I am a bit concerned about texture Resolution. I did some test scans with a 100 Dollar (huawei g6)Smartphone.
Geometry is fine so far, although i guess with higher res camera geometry would resolve better.
But texture Resolution is awful with a Smartphone. At least in combination with 123d catch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:55:24 PM by Time »

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
You can get good texture quality if you use good images.  The memory size on your GPU limits the res you can export.  With a Nvidia Titan 6GB card you can export 16K textures.   Also the quality of the UV map is important.  Agisoft produces tiled UV´s that are packed badly using very little of the texture space.  Best is to re-topo the model and then make a new good UV.  Bring the model back to PS and re project the texture on the new UV.  You can get excellent texture resolution this way. If you have a good UV its also possible to edit the texture in photoshop and also use your texture as a base albedo in for example Quixel/ DDO. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:03:55 AM by igor73 »

igor73

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:10:43 AM »
And as already have been mentioned in this thread a 50mm is an excellent lens to start with. Usually they focus very close so you can do both quite small objects by moving in close or larger objects at a distance.  50mm lens are incredibly cheap for the image quality they provide.  Both Canon and Nikon makes good DSLR.

Time

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
thanks for the response. I think i'll buy  a good Nikon/Canon lens and a 300/400€ Eos cam.
Yeah a Titan X with 12gb would be nice then i guess. Or two of them. ha.
Another question. If i want to scan a rock that is lets say 10 meters high.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Externsteine_pano.jpg actually they are up to 40m high
Would i need a quadrocopter to lift the camera onto another level to get good results?
The rocks should be accessable in the game also from above, like the people standing on them on the photo.
Because of that the geomoetry and texture from above should not look like scan spahetti.

maybe a camera balloon is the better alternative.
i would Need a remote Trigger also.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:43:37 PM by Time »

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
Yes, you'd need to see the top of the rock.  If you're using a drone/kite/balloon then weight will be a factor and then you're back to looking at smaller cameras like Sony/Samsung