Forum

Author Topic: Height field 'direction' in mesh creation not parallel to z-axis  (Read 4030 times)

Patribus

• View Profile
When creating a mesh using heigth field I get a 'projection' which is not parallel to the z-axis? Why is this? I had this several times, but do not understand the reason for it.

The image attached to this post illustrates what I mean. Looking along z-axis, but the mesh-'direction' has some other angle.

Cheers
Patribus
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:03:14 PM by Patribus »

Patribus

• View Profile
Re: Height field 'direction' in mesh creation not parallel to z-axis
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
Hello again,
some idea on this?

I looked again on my data and I get the feeling, that the height field projection takes place along the average plane of the photo distribution, which is not obligatory perpendicular to the z-axis (and will never be strictly perpendicular to the z-axis), specially when one is mapping landscapes with a lot of relief and the photo height is adapted to the topography. I do not understand why it should be like this, since the height field mesh generation is mainly used for mapping applications, where the idea is to project the final 2D map exactly along the z-axis.

The reason why I did not always see this is due to the fact of having mapped mainly flat landscapes.

But I hope I'm wrong on this one and someone can explain me what I'm doing wrong.

Best regards
Patribus

PS: A solution would be to use arbitrary mesh generation, but using (ultra) high dense point clouds this is almost impossible with my computational power for larger projects.

JMR

• View Profile