Forum

Author Topic: How to create a panorama (not spherical) ?  (Read 9355 times)

irimi

• View Profile
How to create a panorama (not spherical) ?
« on: April 09, 2015, 11:40:50 AM »
Hi all,

For one of my project I need to create a panorama from a photoscan project.
I know it is possible to do a spherical panorama (360°) but what I'm looking for is just a classic panorama. Something like this picture : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Inaccessible_Island_Panorama_%28Large%29.jpg

Do you have any idea or tips on how I could do that using photoscan (or other software that accepts photoscan results output) ?

Thanks for your help

Sincerely

Arnaud

bigben

• View Profile
Re: How to create a panorama (not spherical) ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Export the model and import it into a rendering program.  You won't have water or sky in the Photoscan model.  Something like: https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitisation-uom/15323633787

irimi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:32:19 AM »
Hi BigBen,

Thank you very much for your advice and I must admit that the flickr's picture looks really great. i don't know if you made it, but it's really really nice.

For the project on flickr the Terragen software has been used. By chance do you know any similar software (if Open Source it's better) that are easy to use for a beginner ?

I was thinking that it would has been much easier to create a "simple panorama" from agisoft.

Thanks

Arnaud

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »
Yes, I made that one, thankyou.  You could do something similar in Blender although both Terragen and Blender have their own learning curves for beginners... Blender is free, not sure if it does clouds.

There is a free version of Terragen that is limited in the size/quality of the rendered image and number of objects it will handle (not a problem if there's only one), and that Flickr scene (minus the distant island) is really very simple.  Import object, add water, add 3 default cloud layers and render.  If you were to try it, I'd suggest their forum if you need more help with that.

You could export an orthophoto looking across at an island from Photoscan but it wouldn't have any sky or water.  You could try and fake that in Photoshop/Gimp but it's not that easy either. 

irimi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:47:16 AM »
Hi,

I've started to play with Terragen and it's true it is a really amazing software. Results are beautiful.
I'm know trying to import my own model from photoscan but I'm a bit disapointed about the quality of the generated model.  While when I export my result as an orthophoto from agisoft the result looks fine, when I export it as a Mesh the 3D Model is some kind of blurry.

Do you know how I could avoid this blurry effect ?
Should I export the point cloud instead of the mesh ?

Thanks

Arnaud

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
You'll need to export the mesh.  To improve the texture you can generate a higher area of texture image.  Try 4096x4096 and 4 images... or more/larger.  JPEG is an easier file format for importing into Terragen as you don't have to worry about the borders between UVs.  The sample I posted above used 4 x 8192px texture images

mrb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »
You'll need to export the mesh.  To improve the texture you can generate a higher area of texture image.  Try 4096x4096 and 4 images... or more/larger.  JPEG is an easier file format for importing into Terragen as you don't have to worry about the borders between UVs.  The sample I posted above used 4 x 8192px texture images

The Terragen render is quite nice - have you looked at Vue at all?  It can do some extremely accurate clouds and weather systems.

irimi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
You'll need to export the mesh. 

My question will certainly be a bit stupid, but how can you export your mesh. I've look on all the available exported format and I can find the one you are talking to. I'm froma GIS background and brand new in the 3D World this why I feel a bit lost ;)

If you can give me a detailed explanation on how to export the mesh I would be very grateful.

Thanks again for your help and your patience ;)

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Photoscan
Build Mesh > Arbitrary
Build Texture
File > Export model > OBJ with JPG texture

Terragen
Add object
Object options: Z-up
Setup your scene and do a render. From the finished render you can save as TIF
For more detailed help with Terragen, probably best to ask on the TG forum http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/. It's active and helpful just like this forum.

irimi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:12:30 AM »
Hi bigben,

Thank you so much for this detailled explanation.
I've made some test and the result is much better (thanks to you) !
I will continue to do my experimentation on Agisoft and Terragen :)

Arnaud