Forum

Author Topic: PC configuration for Photoscan  (Read 5833 times)

chari

• View Profile
PC configuration for Photoscan
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
Hello,

I have been running Photoscan on my laptop for some. So far I have been happy with results. Since my project are getting larger I consider to start using desktop PC. I am not the biggest expert when it comes to computer so I would like to ask you for help.

I know that there is a list with system  requirements and also with graphic cards but my question is: is this graphic card NVIDIA Quadro K2200 4gb suitable for Photoscan?

I am considering this computer (with larger RAM): https://www.mpx.no/lenovo-thinkstation-p500/835525

Thanks for advice.

Martin

Arie

• View Profile
Re: PC configuration for Photoscan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
Quadro cards only make sense if you need specific features such as quadbuffer stereo or 10bit color output. There is some software that has been optimized for better viewport performance when using quadro cards but afaik Photoscans viewport doesn't benefit from quadro cards (Alexey, please correct me if i'm wrong).

Quadro cards are basically GTX cards with a different driver. There are usually even clocked slightly lower than the gaming cards, since stability is a priority, which is also why they have ECC memory.
Regarding the hardware, the only main benefit of quadro cards is that they usually have more memory, than the GTX cards.

Cheers.

dtmcnamara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:02:24 PM »
Quadros also have uncapped FP64 performance, which is great for ray tracing. If your just going to use this setup for PhotoScan get a Nvidia card, if you are planning on doing other things with it research the other programs and see if they take advantage of double precision processing

Arie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »
Which raytracer uses double precision?!

chari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Okay guys, thanks for your advices. Btw. computer set up in the link I posted there - does it look any good?

dtmcnamara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
Okay guys, thanks for your advices. Btw. computer set up in the link I posted there - does it look any good?

Im using the same CPU and I love it. The GPU is on the lower end, but you can always add a second card later, depending on your PSU size. Other than that just buy a more RAM and upgrade it once you get the machine

chari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »
thanks