Forum

Author Topic: Region/Bounding Box being ignored on Smooth Build Geometry  (Read 8798 times)

Infinite

• View Profile
Region/Bounding Box being ignored on Smooth Build Geometry
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
I just wanted to mention that it seems the Region/Bounding Box that can be assigned and positioned in Agisoft Photoscan only seems to work on Sharp Build Geometry and not Smooth Build Geometry.

On a 40x 18MP scene Build, I have noticed a 2 hour Build time with Smooth and a 1 hour Build time with Sharp.

Whether this is because the Region/Bounding Box is being taken into account? or if it is because no extra Geometry fill has to take place I am not sure.

Alexey do you know why Region/Bounding Box is ignored on Smooth?

Infinite

• View Profile
Re: Region/Bounding Box being ignored on Smooth Build Geometry
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
It looks like Agisoft ends up wasting allot of time building parts of the scene that don't need to be built when using Smooth setting.

The 2.5 Million Polygon setting looks like allot of that was used to build the walls and floor.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:23:10 PM by Infinite »

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
Hello Lee,

Due to the difference between Sharp and Smooth algorithms bounding box provides different area of reconstruction.
Smooth - Height field method reconstructs geometry in prismatic volume with a square in its base (the side of square is selected as a maximum edge of user-defined bounding box side).
While Smooth - Arbitrary method reconstructs geometry in cubic volume with the edge selected as max edge of the user-defined bounding box.
So currently if Smooth methods are used bounding box is expanded by one or two dimensions depending on object type selected. And also Smooth methods reconstructs additional geometry in contrary of Sharp methods.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Infinite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway to get Smooth to recognize the Bounding Box better? is it not wasting processing time on building areas outside the Bounding Box?