Forum

Author Topic: 3D models on websites  (Read 22099 times)

fpbv

• View Profile
3D models on websites
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »
Hi guys

I need some help about this situation:

Some of my customers need to see their 3d models on their websites. We sugest to use pdf, but it
didn?t work as it should.
So we need another way to put it on because they want to view all angles of objects, rotate, zoom, etc.
A friend of mine suggested to use flash, but I don?t know how to do that.

So, anyone could help on this?

Thanks in advance.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: 3D models on websites
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
if Flash then try the UNITY game eingine, the beta 3.5 preview workd for us, but need go deeper in unity, is not so easy....... click in any picture here and see yourself. http://www.mhb.sk/gymes.html
----------------
www.mhb.sk

shoesam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
you can try this:

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/?section=Downloads

at the bottom is a free program to install Mesh to Flash....

Sam

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »
Hello Fabricio,

Could you please describe what is wrong with pdf export?
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Hi Alexey

Very simple: some people are dumb enough to see and manipulate it.
Sorry, this is the true, even if you put information how to handle it.

By the way, thanks to shoesam and wishgranter for your help.
Is there other way than flash to do it for websites?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
its more than Flash, but it must serch for it something like http://www.chromeexperiments.com/webgl
have few links for online poblications techniques, will try to find afther weekend......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/x3d/getting-started good starting point

but remember, FLASH will get a hardware support shortly, so it can handle much more dense-highres mesh and textures......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

akemono

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
@ Wishgrater,
I saw your demo using unity, nice preview but i see that your also having issues using high res textures with unity.

Im having the same problems, i need to import a large model, half a city, into unity. No problems on the mesh side of unity, it runs perfectly even with 2 milj polys, but i can only use one 4k texture.

A possible solution could be to cut the mesh and calculate a new texture using Photoscan but this would require very preciece cutting that is not doable in PS. Any ideas?

best,
Mike

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
Yes. texture was a problem, but we have just 6 days for the demo, without excelent knowledge in UNITY. and mesh have just 64k trias, texture as i remember just 1024pix. Better approarch shold be done with UNREAL engine but still not exporting flash as i know. There we have much more knowledge how to deal with it.....
Your best approach is to re-texture by hand, im working on tutorial how to deal with thing like this, it could be very good retextured in Mudbox, but have not tried yet. there you can project textures. and for 3DS max it could BAKE textures from projections, so it could be divided in smaller pieces. 

the mentioned tutorial - step by step probably will come out in 30 days, have some things that must be done after that have time for the tutorial(s)........
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Mark Florquin

• The Holographer
    • View Profile
    • Mark Florquin
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »
I've come across the lack of 3D-PDF user friendlyness to often. One of the issues it's only working with Acrobat Reader 10. Al this upgrading slows the process and degrades the user experience. And... it doesn't work on iPad and iPhone. I've been looking on the web for a turntable solution. Renders or screenshots of the object from all sides, that can be played in a HTML5 viewer for compatibility.

Here's an example of what it might look like (I'm using Krpano plugin). http://www.isphere.eu/wp-content/pano/3d-objects/Apple/Apple-MFL_0472.html

Can this be implemented in Agisoft? It would mean a huge leap in useability for showing off the scans in presentations on websites and webstores.
Mark Florquin - The Holographer. Website - 3D Store

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 12:21:46 AM »
try this :-) but still probably not working everywhere.... from wha im all tested out then the UDK is best way to propagate to web, there you can make platform specific versions.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Mark Florquin

• The Holographer
    • View Profile
    • Mark Florquin
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »
Very True, Wishgranter. There is however a huge gap between inexperienced users and  professionals. A "slideshow" could ease that gap. I've been experimenting with Cryengine III. Fairly easy to import 3D objects, so nice to experience scans in realtime. Here's a screenshot from Cryengine with a 3D Beatle:

UDK has indeed already Ipad support, but I hear Crytec will offer support in the future as well...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:32:07 AM by markflorquin »
Mark Florquin - The Holographer. Website - 3D Store

akemono

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Mark that looks really good!
I totally agree with both you and Wishgranter that we need a different approach to display our content on the web then just using the PDF file.

Personally i have high hopes for Unity because of it relative low cost, its ability to run on low end hardware, and it's many export options.

I have worked in the UDK for more than a year but that was mostly for game design stuff at school, and i haven't touched it in the last year or so. After that i worked for half a year with Unity this also for a game that i was developing with small group of students.

Perhaps we can work together to reach a consensus on what would be the best way of getting our models on the web.

Best,
Mike

erik leeman

• View Profile
    • Erik Leeman Surround Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Hi all,

Another interactive image-sequence based ('object movie') solution with advanced interface options worth considering is Thomas Rauscher's Object2VR.
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/object2vr.php
It is capable of Flash, QuickTime, and Safari-WebKit (advertised as HTML5) output.

A downside of this method is file size, an animated sequence of high-enough resolution images will almost always result in a file that is a LOT larger than the original 3D model.

Cheers!

Erik

erik leeman

• View Profile
    • Erik Leeman Surround Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
On the ZBrush forum I recently read about p3d.in, don't know if anybody here has experience with them?
http://p3d.in/faq

In a few words, what is p3d.in?
 We are an online service that makes sharing and showing your 3D content easy!

Maybe not for everyone, but perhaps interesting for some?

Cheers!

Erik