Forum

Author Topic: OT: GPS guide for aerial mapping in full scale aircraft  (Read 9719 times)

Dino

• View Profile
OT: GPS guide for aerial mapping in full scale aircraft
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
Little off topic, but since there are lot of guys here doing aerial mapping I would like to ask you what is your workflow in flight planing and flight itself. I'm trying to find some simple GPS assistance (on iphone or ipad) in which I could import predefined flight lines and to be able for my pilot to precisely fly path.

Diego

• View Profile
Re: OT: GPS guide for aerial mapping in full scale aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi,

Are you serious?  :o
Aerial Mapping with iphone or ipad?
The production of cartography is serious, I recommend a basic course in photogrammetry, if you have no professional training for at least a diploma should do.

Regards.

Diego

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »
if want GPS solution for this - that you predefined path and let it go cost around 10.000 euros approximately, but with some drawbacks - fly time etc. don't try use some Iphone navi, they precision is just for standard use and not for GIS solutions - here you must or should know position on few cm (mm ) as error. not like Iphone with 2-3 meters "precision"

as a Diego wrote, is not that easy , must know a lot of background info for this soft of work........ yes if want for home use some output then can experiment, but without knowlege you stay in amateur area of outputs......
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:52:15 PM by Wishgranter »
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Dino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
I don't know if I was clear enough. I didn't mean to take photos with iphone/ipad, but just to use them as NAVIGATION guide. If you didn't know ipad apps are used in cockpit for navigation and some of them have been FAA approved http://www.imore.com/2011/03/01/faa-approves-apple-ipad-pilot-flight-charts/ They use external bluetooth GPS
So with precision flight, and with GCP, Calibrated camera on the bottom of the aircraft/glider there is no reason you shouldn't get satisfying results...

Dino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJYkxG74T0

This is what I'm talking about. With use of ground control points I would not need camera GPS data. The key here is that PILOT precisely guide aircraft for given route.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
oh OK then. must search for someone working with this, i know a octocopter (1,5 kg playload ) manufacturer that have option on copter like this....... if wan can send info..
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
http://elektromodely.com/modely/product_info.php?cPath=547&products_id=6295&language=en&osCsid=24b3. here is a few things about GPS positioning. ask on modely@elektromodely.com for more if want how it works, cost etc.

this firm deliver complete solutions to EUROPE for very good prices and have a lot of answers and solutions for every need. But remember let us all know what you get together as a solution that can help all of us. My partner have a octocopter but without GPS from him, and we test it on our projects.....

i hope this help everyone here......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

adamski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
Dino - do your flight lines really need to be followed very accurately? Or are your pilots good enough to follow a path to within metres?

The following applies to a full sized helicopter system:

We've used a standard mapping GPS to set up flight paths and have them followed, just using waypoint-to-waypoint track following. This requires a lot of pilot training and a very good relationship with the navigator/instrument operator. It is also very hard work for a pilot to keep a helicopter flying straight and level - although making their navigation screen bigger (ie an ipad/rugged tablet) and using some moving map software (eg oziexplorer, or something like: http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/igmap-fswidgets-moving-map/id379872511?mt=8)might help.

But - we don't worry about following flight lines super accurately because the pilots can't physically do it. To compensate all the data we collect are geolocated using an onboard dual-frequency GPS+IMU. If we're flying grids we aim to also collect redundant data to further offset the fact that flight lines are not very accurate (metres), and cannot be followed very accurately anyway (metres to tens of metres).

So if you're relying on the pilot following a line I think you're in trouble, your apriori camera positions will potentially be way off. Quick and dirty solution might be to use something like a Nikon DSLR and its GPS extra bits, so you can have each image tagged with a (good but not great) GPS timestamp and position.

Adding ground control probably goes a long some way to fixing this. My (small) experience so far with photoscan is that it is best to give the images decent apriori camera locations, then use ground control to tighten everything up a bit. However, my datasets generally do not have much, if any, ground control. I'm relying very much on the camera centres and a couple of known objects at one end of a flight.

Hope that helps!

Captbyrne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 02:08:14 AM »
Dino,

There are several ways to get flight lines into a GPS display for mapping, none of which that I am familiar with use an iPad.

The 10,000e option is probably TrackAir. A very expensive system that really simplifies both the planning and execution of a flight. http://trackair.com/

TrackAir is great if you require pre-determined exposure points, for example a 60% forward overlap along the flight lines. If you use timing, TrackAir is more money than you need to spend.

There is also the PhotoFlight plug-in for XMap. We use that and created a way to export the flight lines for use in a Garmin 496 GPS. Using this along with an intervalometer is a much less expensive option than TrackAir.

Good Luck,

Dave

Captbyrne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »
Dino,

You might want to look at TopoFlight - http://www.topoflight.com/