Forum

Author Topic: Pixelpeeper: a free utility to visually estimate image sharpness  (Read 12269 times)

Marcel

• View Profile
For the best results in Photoscan you need perfectly sharp photos. Checking hundreds or even thousands of photos for pixel level sharpness is no fun at all, so we made a utility called Pixelpeeper that turns this task from "mind numbingly boring" to "slightly annoying".

The program displays magnified crops for each image. You can quickly inspect, select and move images that are not up to quality (for example images with camera shake or misfocus). Multiple cropping modes are available, to show crops of both the center and corners of the image.

Pixelpeeper loads images in both 8-bit and 16-bit, and supports the following file formats:

• JPEG
  • TIFF
  • PNG
  • PSD (files saved with compatibility mode only)
We found it to be a huge timesaver, so we decided to have it rewritten and release it as a free utility for the (always helpful) Photoscan community.

Pixelpeeper Download (0.99MB)

Windows 7 64-bit or higher required, more than 4GB of memory recommended. No installer needed, the program is a single executable that can be placed anywhere. Use at your own risk, please do not redistribute or re-upload.

Questions or ideas can be posted in this thread or emailed to support@textures.com
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:16:50 PM by marcel »

stihl

• View Profile
Re: Pixelpeeper: a free utility to visually estimate image sharpness
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Wow thank you for opening up this software to the community. I can see myself using this.

frank.stremke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
hi this is great!
i was just testing it out and it looks amazing
also usefull for inspection post flight in the field.
frank

EMULAT3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:46:35 PM »
Such a great tool! Thanks for the gift! :)

r0xx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Awesome! Thanks alot for sharing... Will have a look at it right now :)

horseflesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 04:25:01 AM »
Is this app no longer available and/or necessary?

frank.stremke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
hi
since the topic is up again...
i have used this programm for quite a while and i realy liked it but now i have changed to DNG images and i can not use it anymore
any chance this could be implemented?
thanks
frank

horseflesh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:52 AM »
Interesting. Not one photo I have EVER taken passes muster. Every single shot, from photogrammetry, to family pics, to stuff I've sold on Ebay is in apparently not in focus. JPG, RAW, TIFF. All red Xs.

SAV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
Photoscan has a tool built in that allows one to filter low quality (blurry) images. No real need for another software packages, even though it's free ;-). 
Just right click on one of the pictures in the photos pane and choose ESTIMATE IMAGE QUALITY.
Photoscan will then calculate a image quality value that ranges between 0 (=bad) and 1 (= very good). You can then sort the images based on this value and ignore/delete the ones which are below your chosen threshold. Image quality higher than 0.75 is generally quite good.

Regards
SAV

horseflesh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 05:16:49 AM »
Photoscan has a tool built in that allows one to filter low quality (blurry) images. No real need for another software packages, even though it's free ;-). 
Just right click on one of the pictures in the photos pane and choose ESTIMATE IMAGE QUALITY.
Photoscan will then calculate a image quality value that ranges between 0 (=bad) and 1 (= very good). You can then sort the images based on this value and ignore/delete the ones which are below your chosen threshold. Image quality higher than 0.75 is generally quite good.

Regards
SAV

I figured this was similar to the Estimate feature, but am still scratching my head as to it's considering all my images blurry. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. :)

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
@SAV

The Estimate Image Quality function cannot accurately detect motion blur from camera shake. With this type of directional blur you still have sharp pixels, so the algorithm gives the image a good rating.

Even for moderate blur vs perfectly sharp, the rating the is almost the same (making it almost impossible to cull bad images).

More information in this thread: http://www.agisoft.com/forum/index.php?topic=1924.msg10245#msg10245

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:09 AM »
I figured this was similar to the Estimate feature, but am still scratching my head as to it's considering all my images blurry. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. :)

Nope, Pixelpeeper is completely manual, you have to select blurry images yourself (but with one hand on the pageDown key and the other on your mouse, you can go through the images quite quickly).

Photogrammetryfacts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »
Perhaps you could build in a functionality where we can opt in to have tagged images as well as some sharp ones from the same set uploaded to you. After you get a few thousand real world blurry images you could train a neural network to identify them and then make auto detection a part of the program?  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:53:02 PM by Photogrammetryfacts »