Forum

Author Topic: Cultural Heritage stuff  (Read 8543 times)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Cultural Heritage stuff
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
Hello all.
im working, or better preparing for a big project in cultural heritage stuff, have someone some real knowledge in this area? mostly on thing like what is accepted resolutions for buildings, monuments, statues and other smaller like vase-urn  ? We have a few guidelines for that but want know how is in world with this.  For ruined castles and church - around or under 10cm, for small things in under millimeter range probably. We will mostly digitalise it, not prepare complete plans from that, this will be work for others..

Have someone used the middle format cameras with aprox 30-80 Mpix size with Photoscan ??

our goal is to "scan" over 3.000 units in 3 years...... 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Kjellis85

• Archaeological field supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Contact information at University of Tromsø
Re: Cultural Heritage stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
It is very difficult to say what is optimal resolution for cultural heritage, because of the diversity of use. A conservator will have a much higher demand for accuracy and precision than the general public. I have made a replica of an medieval axe, with a sub-milimeter precision without having to use a medium-format camera. I think the best way to figure out what you need is to test it and see how the public reacts to the result.

If the models aren't meant as display objects and are just for databases, then the resolution doesn't really matter, because in five years some better and faster technique will come along :)

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
Kjellis, thanx, in our country are preparations made for a B I G project, for next 8 years is planned to digitalise over 200.000 objects - not buildings, but the small one pieces, like Vase urn etc, up to scale of bigger statue. is wery possible that we will work on this project that is eparated to few groups. so im searching for "some" real world project like this. But as i getting info this is one of the biggest project at least in Europe that i have info. so a no precise guidelines are known, just a few "good" possible ways. and the Middle format camera are failing out and as far as i get the best camera for this sort of work is the Canon 550 D because of the 4,2 micrometer pixel, on the middle size is around 6-7 microns that mean a 50 % lower precision of photogrametry...... im reading a lot of stuff around it, because my "work" will be complete decision on what technologies we should use next few years...... 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

olihar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »
I would look into getting a Canon 5D Mark II and a 24mm TS Mark II lens...

Or look at the new Nikon D800 or D800E, not sure what lens to look for there.

Kjellis85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
Hmm, I think that for the kind of large volumes you are talking about, a more automated method might be better than using photogrammetry. If you are thinking about investing in a medium format camera, then an automated solution might not be that more expensive, at least not over time. At the CAA this year they presented some results from the British museum, it might be worth a look.

http://caaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CAA2012_Booklet.pdf
There is a lot of interesting stuff there, especially theme six.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
Yes i know that from few hours ago mostly THIS part http://m.caaconference.org/event/f7edc61648999681ec79e1782c060085

im trying to contact someone there if we can get that info......

and Yes, much more automatized solutions, but there is not so much better than this, is a lot of postprocess need for laser scannig, - the marking points,registration, to place, remove, remove from scans etc......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Kjellis85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
Yes, laser scanners are troublesome, but there are stereo-vision solutions using structured light that are more effective, I just can't remember their name...

barnes21bb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
Yes i know that from few hours ago mostly THIS part http://m.caaconference.org/event/f7edc61648999681ec79e1782c060085

im trying to contact someone there if we can get that info......

Hello Wishgranter,

My name is Adam Barnes and I'm a coauthor on the CAA talk you referenced in the link above. I work at CAST (cast.uark.edu) and we do have experience documenting cultural heritage of all kinds. Feel free to email me and we can discuss any questions you have about the CAA talk - which we are preparing for publication in the near future.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Hello Mr. Barnes  ;D

im glad for a so quick response, will PM you......

----------------
www.mhb.sk

Wishgranter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
----------------
www.mhb.sk

FoodMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:05:01 AM »
awesome Castle Wishgranter  8)

fpbv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 05:56:06 AM »
Outstanding work! I am working to do something like this but I am having some trouble with post processing...
I would like some help on this...