Forum

Author Topic: Ground Control and align images  (Read 7182 times)

olihar

• View Profile
Ground Control and align images
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
Does it matter if I add GPS iformation per image before or after the align images is run?

Will it improve the alignment?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Ground Control and align images
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
this is a good question  ;D
----------------
www.mhb.sk

olihar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
You do get the option of doing pair selection in Align images if you have ground control points in the images before.. but still wonder if it does change anything in the process.

olihar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
So I add to this question, if the images are aligning fine using 100.000 points per image is there any reason to use 200.000 points or more. Or should I even use less to speed up the process.

Yes I changed the max to 200.000 in preferences, and it is finding 200.000 points per image just fine.

Will this have any impact on the Meshing, or accuracy of the model in any way...?

olihar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
And, actually, if you use Ground Control before meshing will it be faster at meshing as it will know that only x many images are visible in each section of the mesh, or will the bundle adjustment have already taken care of that.

Kjellis85

• Archaeological field supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Contact information at University of Tromsø
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:35:13 AM »
So I add to this question, if the images are aligning fine using 100.000 points per image is there any reason to use 200.000 points or more. Or should I even use less to speed up the process.

Yes I changed the max to 200.000 in preferences, and it is finding 200.000 points per image just fine.

Will this have any impact on the Meshing, or accuracy of the model in any way...?

A bit off the original topic, but I had totally forgotten about this option :P

Gonna do some testing on some difficult image sets to see if I can detect any discernible difference.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
from what i read few days back, a much more control points is just prolonging the process and bring no better results, but it depend on project type......
----------------
www.mhb.sk

gEEvEE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
Well, it depends on the accuracy of the GPS info of course. If the GPS data is not resulting from a D-GPS solution, the data are just good enough for image pair selection and global georeferencing of the model. However, it can not be used for optimizing the camera parameters since the accuracy is much too low.

Concerning the amount of feature points: often, lower amounts give much better results. Half a year ago, I rigorously tested the accuracy of camera parameters and image alignment of a 60 image dataset. There was no single trend to be found: sometimes, accuracy and alignment were high using 20 000 points, sometimes the alignment completely failed. Often 40 000 points delivered worse results compared to 20 000 points, but 35 000 points was again better. So, no single conclusion could be drawn at that point. I did not execute these tests with the newly implemented algorithms, but I suppose results will be largely the same, since the SfM step has multiple mathematical solutions. My preferred workflow is to align everything using 20 000 points and afterwards filter the points based on reprojection error. After deleting the points with a reprojection error higher than 0.5, I optimize the point cloud and filter again, until the end results delivers me a maximum reprojection error of 0.5.

Cheers,

Geert