Forum

Author Topic: Export pdf - I only get a tiny portion of the model  (Read 5398 times)

Ethork

• View Profile
Export pdf - I only get a tiny portion of the model
« on: August 13, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
I've built several models with textures applied, but when I try to export pdfs from them, the pdfs consist of only wnat appears to be a tiny portion of the entire model. 
Surely there is a way to export a view of the entire model?
What am I dong wrong?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Export pdf - I only get a tiny portion of the model
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »
Hello Ethork,

I suggest to switch to the Perspective view mode, orient the viewpoint as you would like to see it by default in the PDF and then export model to PDF.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

Ethork

• View Profile
Export pdf - Rsolution of the pdf
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
Thanks.  I realized that the image actually is there in the pdf, that to see the whole thing, you have to zoom out with the cursor placed on the image, rather than use the zoom keys. 

But another question:   The pdf that I get is not just an image of the model from the current viewpoint, but the actual entire model - I can rotate the model within the pdf.  And when I try making a jpg from the pdf, the jpg is at a lower resolution. 
What is the best way to get a high resolution jpg or tif from the model?   
Do I forst make a pdf, or is there a different way?
Is there a way to get a pdf out of agisoft that is a static image, rather than a rotatable model?
I reallze that some of these are really questions for Adobe, but you might know.

William Ringle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »
To create a static PDF, you would export an orthophoto in either TIFF or JPG format (if you have PS pro). Then you can open that in Acrobat directly and it will import it to a page. If you wish more control over the import, you should import the orthophoto into something like Illustrator or Canvas, format the page, and export as a PDF. In a pinch you could even use Word or Powerpoint.

Ethork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of - that there is no way to get a high resolution output from the standard version.  OK...

James

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
I think the easiest way may be using MeshLab:

• Export the model from photoscan, with texture - OBJ format works well
  • Use File -> Import Mesh... in MeshLab to open your model
  • Orient the model in MeshLab to get the view you want
  • Use File -> Save Snapshot to export the view as a PNG (which you can then convert to another format)
  • In the save snapshot dialog, bump up the Screen Multiplier value to get the desired resolution

Ethork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
Wow.  Just ran a test and it worked.  That's fantastic. 
Note that Meshlab is unable to apply the texture if .obj file made by agisoft has any spaces in its name.  (And the same with the other files that are automatically made when you make the .obj file.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:12:37 PM by Ethork »