Forum

Author Topic: Creating an Orthophoto or DEM  (Read 9131 times)

gator

• View Profile
Creating an Orthophoto or DEM
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
I am needing to create either a DEM of an image or an orthophoto.  I have multiple images of a single location taken at very slightly different angles.  I was wanting to know if the professional version of the photoscan can accomplish this.  I am needing to create the orthophoto or DEM as soon as possible, so any help you all are able to provide me will greatly be appreciated.

THANKS in advance.

gEEvEE

• View Profile
Re: Creating an Orthophoto or DEM
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:32:02 PM »
Hallo Gator,

yes, given that you have multiple images (at least 3, even though I did it with 2 as well) of the same location taken at about the same time, Photoscan Pro can generate very accuarte DEMs and orthophotos.

Geert

gator

• View Profile
Re: Re: Creating an Orthophoto or DEM
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »
Geert,

Thanks for the info.  I have downloaded the trial version; however, I can not get a DEM or orthophoto generated that I can view.  Also, I am not sure if the type of photos I have will work.  They are essentially from the same location taken every minute. The angle of the camera changed slightly about 3 or 4 times throughout a year's time frame. I want to use about 10 to 20 pics in a hour time frame from each day to get either an orthophoto or a DEM that I can use in another program to create an orthophoto. I am quite new to this type of processing, so if you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

gEEvEE

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Creating an Orthophoto or DEM
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
Hi Gator,

first of all, I am unsure whether or not the trial version allows the output of an ortho (I have the full version here). Secondly, images that are taken form approximately the same position are likely not to work. You have to know that it is mathematically only possible to get a point´s 3D location if it is seen from multiple viewpoints. This means that viewing the scene from the same viewpoint does not allow to get extra clues about the geometry of an object. Hence, creating a DEM and orthophoto is impossible.

Regards,

Geert