Forum

Author Topic: Cars and Reflective Objects  (Read 5268 times)

sgt912

• View Profile
Cars and Reflective Objects
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
I know of the wholesale difficulty in photogrammetry when it comes to objects of a highly reflective nature, such as vehicles, windows etc, but where it's not necessarily feasible to add physical markers on a vehicle, is it possible to add 'pseudo' markers in photoshop for example for photoscan to use in the alignment process?
Maybe a dumb question, but I've only got so much hair to tear out before I'm bald

chrisd

• View Profile
Re: Cars and Reflective Objects
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »
I don't think there is any way you could place them accurately enough in Photoshop or other image editor to register the images.

There are sprays that can be applied to reflective objects, useful for laser scanning. For photogrammetry you would really need some kind of texture though. There is a process known as noise projection for smooth, evenly colored surfaces, which helps to identify common points between photos.

Darko

• View Profile
    • CADCOM
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:05 PM »
Hi,

Have you ever seen those disco lasers with thousands of small colour dots. There are small ones for the kids, maybe you can try to project it to the object and than take your photos. Just the idea, didn't try to do that.

Best regards,
Darko

ThomasVD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 12:40:33 PM »
With highly reflective objects I would suggest taking your pictures using a circular polarization filter to remove reflections. Additionally, when pre-processing the images for Photoscan, use software such as Lightroom or Photoshop to remove any highlights from your images (shoot in RAW for best pre-processing results).