Forum

Author Topic: More leeway with alignment  (Read 2707 times)

james___Uk

• View Profile
More leeway with alignment
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
I'm having a problem with the alignment tool, I've done this before with a hard object whereby I take my photos, turn it upside down, take some more, and I can cut the dense cloud in two 2/3rds for each chunk and then photoscan can align the two to have a completely scanned model. But I went out into the woods and tried this with a few logs; I took my photos, turned each log over and took some more but now this has not worked in terms of merging these two chunks on 2/3 of these so far. I can guess why, what with the little differences when I turn it over and say, a leaf might get stuck on the log I didn't spot. Or at least that's my guess, but I wish the program had a bit more leniency in this way

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: More leeway with alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
Hello James,

If you are not using masks to cover the background, then you may have the alignment issues, as the feature points detected on the background may cause false matches. So usually it is suggested to use masks when the object position or orientation change relatively to the background.

However, the changes in the shape or texture of the object may also affect the alignment, but generally, small feature would not affect that much.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

james___Uk

• View Profile
Re: More leeway with alignment
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
Ohh, I thought point based alignment didn't even use photos, then again I noticed the options for the photos didn't grey out when I selected that... I'm surprised it has worked this one time then  :o