Forum

Author Topic: Photos won't align  (Read 3649 times)

steelweb07

• View Profile
Photos won't align
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:25:15 AM »
Hi, I am having problem with my photo alignment. The picture consist of banana tree images taken from above. About 100m altitude. Some of the photos align but some won't, especially when the photo consist of too many banana tress.

These are the photos that won't align:

Is there any other options that I can get this photo align?

Thanks!

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Photos won't align
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi SteelWeb
what camera+lens you have ? what GSD you get on the dataset ?

simple solution is to fly in 150-200+m altitude because in 100m height you get intro repetitive structure problems. getting higher will help to align it.. 

If can send me say 20-100 images on muzeumhb@gmail.com and will try different settings on the data, what could help to align even this ones....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

steelweb07

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
Hi there Wishgranter,

Thanks for the reply. I used a stock Sony RX100 camera for this aerial images. The problem of going higher is the image will loss its quality, that's why I flew low for this. I will send you the complete images of this flight, maybe tommorow I will email it. Thanks for the help!

James

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
You are on the absolute limit of minimum overlap. Attached image below shows mostly image count of only 1 or 2, whereas 3 or more is what you need all over ideally.

I aligned the images by placing markers manually.

Wishgranter's suggestion of flying higher will also help as the higher you go, the more similar the plants will look in adjacent images. Trying to place 3 markers on any of these plants was a nightmare because they look completely different in each image due to the change in viewing angle. Also points on the ground are the only points that really look the same from different angles, and the change in viewing angle means that you rarely get to see the same spot on the ground in 3 different images due to plants getting in the way!

Here's the project file

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml2dzcz2p7eeolz/AADVCm_0MZkDpP4hHlEIVh1fa?dl=0