Forum

Author Topic: unwrapping a cylindrical 3d model  (Read 9366 times)

Geophotologist

• View Profile
unwrapping a cylindrical 3d model
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
I was just wondering if any of you in the community know how to unwrap or unwarp a cylindrical 3d model to a 2d flat surface? i.e 3D scan of a tunnel flattened out to view it all on one plane?

Also do any of you have experience in capturing tunnels?

Dieter

• View Profile
Re: unwrapping a cylindrical 3d model
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
To unwrap a cylinder I use Meshlab or cloudcompare.

I donĀ“t have experience in capturing tunnels.....

Roland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
Yes. meshlab.
Try: Filters-smoothing,fairing and deformation-geometric cylindrical unwrapping

Geophotologist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
Hi Dieter and Roland,

I was wondering if you had information of using the unwarp tool on both meshlab or cloud compare. Currently I have only partial sections of the cylinder that I need to flatten out but I cannot seem to get the correct settings. Any help would be much appreciated.

bigben

• View Profile

GUS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
Hi, everybody.

I have a problem similar to the tunnel of Geophotologist:
I was training with a frescoed barrel vault to studying for future applications in maintenance tasks of the paintings stamped on the intrados vault, so I would like to obtain the unwrapped model (UV unwraped mapping) of the textured vault which I have got previously with Agisoft PhotoScan.
I am trying to unwrap the UV unwrapped texture of the vault through Blender but I must to assess the accuracy to know if acceptable.

I ask to Agisoft support team and they told me the next workflow: build mesh in PhotoScan, export mesh, open it in Blender (or similar 3D editing application), create custom UV parametrization and apply to the mesh, import mesh back to PhotoScan, build texture using Keep UV option.
I don't know exactly how I should do to "create a custom UV parametrization to apply to mesh" into Blender (maybe it means I have to define a regular surface projection) but I don't understand why I have to "import mesh back" to PhotoScan and to "build texture in PS using keep UV option".
Agisoft support team told me they can't help me beyond this tips because they have experience enough in "UV mapping" and they recommend me to visit the forum where I saw your post.

Another idea about I was thinking, it was to unwrap a dense point cloud (XYZ coordinates) into UV mapping (XY unwrapped coordinates) but I didn't know if this was possible untill I saw a post of a user who got to "unwrap" a dense point cloud trhough Meshlab and VisualBasic codes.

Please, could someone help me to obtain the unwrap UV mapping of the texture of my beautiful vault model (or the unwrap dense point cloud)?

Thank you.

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
There's a similar thread going at the CloudCompare forum.

http://www.danielgm.net/cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1417&p=5448#p5448

It appears the developer indicates the code in CloudCompare allows for it, he needs to modify the part of the GUI that allows a user to create a polyline or profile for another function to also work for unwrapping.

Hopefully he will clarify if this is going to be added in a update to CloudCompare.

chrisd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:43:19 PM »
There's a new CloudCompare beta with this unwrapping, check out the thread I referenced above. And it works for any shape you can draw on a 2D plane, not just a cylinder.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:46:11 PM by chrisd »