Forum

Author Topic: PS to Cinema 4D Workflow  (Read 5493 times)

ihabali

• View Profile
PS to Cinema 4D Workflow
« on: October 11, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »
Hello All,
Having a bit of trouble figuring out the proper way to export OBJs from C4D after mesh cleanup/UV mapping so they are correctly seen by PS(standard edition).

I'm basically generating a mesh in PS and exporting it as an OBJ. I bring the OBJ into C4D, cleanup the mesh, create UV mapping and export it back to OBJ. When I import the model in PS, it shows up in the same place but when I try to generate the texture using the "keep uv" mapping mode all I get is a black texture. The UVs seem to not be there coming in from C4D for some reason. I noticed also that when exporting a UV mapped model from PS to C4D, the UVs are shifted -1 in the V direction for some reason.

Regards,
Ihab Ali

ihabali

• View Profile
Re: PS to Cinema 4D Workflow
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
I've exhausted all my knowledge trying to figure this out but I have no idea why it doesn't work...once the OBJ is exported from PS I can't understand why the UVs get messed up or how to restore them. Any body out there using C4D with PS?? Please help!

sc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
try using fbx instead, a much more efficient format, also check if you have more than one UV set

ihabali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
I'll try that again however the first issue I faced when using FBX was that the coordinate system gets messed up when I export from PS to C4D...so when I reimport the model it's not in the same place and therefore I cannot generate the texture in PS...I didn't play with FBX a lot though so I'll try again.

Thanks for advise

ihabali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:37:14 AM »
I figured out the problem with OBJs and UV maps from C4D: when exporting the option "Export objects as groups" has to be checked in order to the UV maps to be stored correctly(otherwise they are all messed up for whatever reason. The other thing and I guess this is specific to C4D, the entire UV map has to be shifted up by 1(transform -1 in the V direction) in order for PS to actually see it. I have no idea why, but when I import OBJs from PS to C4D I noticed that the maps are shifted so I did the same before exporting from C4D and everything works fine now.

With FBX and 3DS files, every time I try to reimport into PS, the meshes don't show up in the same place and that's another thing I can't understand but at least OBJs are working now.

mala

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
I always used to use collada export with C4D, you get the cameras then as well if needed.
I have not tried for a very long time though, as I now use Zbrush for UV and mesh clean up instead... much much easier and nicer than C4D :)

mala