Forum

Author Topic: Depth map filtering stage, which CPU?  (Read 3605 times)

Magnus

• View Profile
Depth map filtering stage, which CPU?
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows which CPU feature most impacts the depth map filtering stage? Is this more dependant on cores or on clock?

The reason I am asking is because that stage is the one that currently affects me the most and I am thinking of either a Intel Core i7 6700K, Intel Core i5 6600K or going with Intel Core i7 5820K or other multi-core (RAM usage for my projects are relatively low, works with 16GB currently, so don't need Socket 2011-3 or such for that reason).

Best, Magnus.

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
Re: Depth map filtering stage, which CPU?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:35:15 AM »
need fast and multicore for best speed. depend on your budeget, but prefer speed vs count cores,
say a 8core 2 Ghz is slower as 6 core at 3ghz... and so on.

18core Xeon @2ghz can be slower as 8 core i7 CPU@3,5 Ghz 
----------------
www.mhb.sk

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »
Hello!

I think I will go with the 5820K, probably with one or two GTX 970.

I will not (as far as I know) run very large projects but many medium sized so I think for me the best will be to get many computers with decent specs. If I were to get a few very large projects I can use something like your workstation service or maybe cloud processing.

I have been looking at Anandtechs Photoscan benches for CPUs and I was just wondering if you (or anyone else) knows if the differences between CPUs are similar when running bigger projects and at higher settings?

Best, Magnus.

Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:13:16 AM »
I actually found the answer to my question by chance while looking for Adobe Photoshop benches, hehe.

So for anyone else wondering about CPU core scaling check this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Agisoft-PhotoScan-Multi-Core-Performance-709/ They also have info about GPU scaling.

Best, Magnus.