Forum

Author Topic: Problem with photos alignment  (Read 1574 times)

Nikola993

• View Profile
Problem with photos alignment
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
Hi guys,

I am having problems with aligning photos when I run onto woods and forest. I put for example, 120-150 photos in chunk but it aligns only about 100-120. Those holes in alignment normally reflect to the same ones when I finsih ortomosaic. I have tried with GCPs, but the holes get little smaller, but they still exist.

Does anyone have idea how to solve this? I can upload those problematic photos if anyone want to see them.

Thank you in advance,

Nikola

SAV

• View Profile
Re: Problem with photos alignment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
Hi Nikola993,

Forests can be tricky to reconstruct using a UAV photogrammetry workflow because tree branches, twigs and leaves might slightly move in the wind. However, there is a simple way to mitigate this problem.
By flying higher/further away from the trees you are reducing your resolution (increasing your GSD), which means these slight movements won't be as problematic anymore because they are not resolved in the imagery and SfM algorithms are able to better match and align your camera stations.

Alternatively, try to acquire your imagery on a day with no wind :-) That should also help with your reconstruction.

All the best.

Regards,
SAV