Forum

Author Topic: PhotoScan + endoscope?  (Read 3163 times)

ThomasVD

• View Profile
PhotoScan + endoscope?
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »
Hey everyone!

Just wondering if anyone here has ever experimented with reconstructing the insides of for instance small objects using an endoscope? It sounds like a tantalizing prospect to be able to access the insides of hard-to-reach small spots and build 3D models but I'm wondering what the user experiences are? Are these sorts of cameras super-expensive? Do they not calibrate well in PhotoScan? Are the resulting images of sufficiently high resolution?

Think this is an interesting topic to explore further :)

bigben

• View Profile
Re: PhotoScan + endoscope?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
Yes it is an interesting idea...  Most of them have very wide angle lenses so in theory it should be feasible to reconstruct narrow spaces even with a single camera path. Most of the ones I've seen have had limited resolution which could be a problem but I'm not current with what technology is up to now.

ThomasVD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply BigBen. Yeah the endoscopes I've seen so far don't have sufficient resolution, but I imagine that nowadays pretty high-res endoscopes should be available (given what my tiny phone camera is capable of). I'll keep the forums posted in case the idea develops further ;)

bigben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:27:14 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79J3CIEIQqw

Pretty rough quality but extracted to TIFFs and masked annotations..  Assumed a fisheye lens

ThomasVD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
Nice! Results look very promising :) The image quality is a lot better than the endoscopes I've seen but I guess it's reflected in the price-tag: the boroscope apparently costs $ 30 000 (see YouTube comments).