Forum

Author Topic: Extracting profiles  (Read 5599 times)

William Ringle

• View Profile
Extracting profiles
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
I would like to extract the profile of an object, such as a pot, from my Photoscan model. My idea is to slice off half the pot at midline, then use fill holes to provide the profile (I want a solid representation of the cross-section). It works pretty well, but the edge produced by slicing the mesh is rather ragged, which can lead to spurious facets on the profile. This is true even with mesh reconstruction at the highest settings.

Has anyone devised a script to provide a "clean" linear cut through a mesh?

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Hello William,

I can suggest the following workaround:
instead of manual polygon removal, shrink the bounding box and use it's side to cut the object in the desired plane, then build mesh based on the existing dense cloud - the model borders whould be straight and perfectly cut by the bounding box.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

William Ringle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 11:47:31 PM »
Thank you Alexey for your quick reply. Your solution was ingenious and I was able to extract a clean edge from the bounding box. However, my fill hole still had problems. I am enclosing some screen shots to show the problem. The edge is indeed straight and planar, but there are still some annoying and incorrect facets. Is there a way to explode the fill hole so that some triangles can be omitted? or is there a problem with the algorithm?

Thanks again for your help.  Bill

kenjy_9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
Hello

I've read all the suggestions but at the end I still can't run the script.
maybe a step by step manual will help.
can you please help me with that

greetings

William Ringle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
Kenjy - did you reply to the wrong post?

BTW, I eventually solved this problem by exporting the model to Meshlab, which has provisions for extracting slices/profiles.