Forum

Author Topic: Indoor mapping with spherical video / camera  (Read 4260 times)

tbwester

• View Profile
Indoor mapping with spherical video / camera
« on: December 09, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Anyone here used spherical cameras in their photoscan projects?

I have some higher end DSLR/nodal ninja setups, and we also just bought a Theta spherical camera.  I'm thinking along the lines of having folks walk through a space with the theta, then running those images through photoscan to map out a floor level.  I know this is really not all that accurate, but just to see relatively you walked is all I need.

Curious if anyone has tried this?

also curious if anyone has an opinion on spherical video vs still photos from a mobile spherical camera like the theta.

I think their is enormous potential using spherical video for things like site walk-throughs, that is kind of where my thought process is at the moment.

Alexey Pasumansky

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor mapping with spherical video / camera
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 06:57:59 PM »
Hello tbwester,

Probably the following articles will be quite informative for you:
http://journals.bg.agh.edu.pl/GEOMATICS/2015.9.2/geom.2015.9.2.51.pdf
http://www.isprs-ann-photogramm-remote-sens-spatial-inf-sci.net/II-5/211/2014/isprsannals-II-5-211-2014.pdf

The main problem that may occur, by my opinion, could be related to the lack of the texture pattern on the walls and interior surfaces in general. For example, scanning of the office space and corridors would be extremely problematic if there are only plain white walls, or even transparent or semi-transparent glass surfaces.
Best regards,
Alexey Pasumansky,
Agisoft LLC

tbwester

• View Profile
Re: Indoor mapping with spherical video / camera
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »
Hey, great minds think alike :).  I found those two as well and they are really useful.

True.  I think the majority of our projects will be in demoed floor levels with lots of texture and large areas with lots of overlap.

Is there anyway to stream in straight video from a spherical camera into photoscan? In comparison of still vs video frames for applications like I am speaking of?